• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe default for raw import

Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, so im new to using LR - question - i see the adobe default for Raw import but am wondering, how do i tell what the difference is between that and changing the setting to my current camera (7DMkII)?  What does it mean or do when changing the setting from lets say to my camera from adobe?  Tks for helping a noobe....

I had posted this in another thread but i guess it was out of place....  Ths

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

I have seen your question, but have not been able to sign in this morning. There seems to be some problems with the website. Anyway, what I have discovered is that if I have set up my defaults according to the guidelines in that video I can change settings in my camera and Lightroom will honor those changes when I import the images. I have to create my own defaults and save them as a preset and make that preset the default as outlined in the video.

When I do that, I can change the profile in t

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak specifically about your camera, but you can simply look at the two different results (default and 7DMkII) and see the differences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't speak specifically about your camera, but you can simply look at the two different results (default and 7DMkII) and see the differences.

So i would have to import a picture with the adobe default then create the camera one and import the picture again and compare the 2 ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you import once. (there really is no situation I can think of where you want to import a photo twice) You apply one camera profile. Look at it. Then apply the other camera profile. Look at it. You can use the options in the Develop module to toggle back and forth between the two views (ctrl-z and ctrl-y), or you can use the Y shortcut (View->Before/After) to show different comparisons. You can also hover your mouse over each profile in the Profile Browser to see the effect of each profile on the photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok.  tks.  being very new to this LR, the answer went a little over my head....  Sorry.  For instance, saying you can use the options in the develop module, but not saying from the menue bar, right panel, lens, etc.., i didnt know where to go.  Sorry.  But, i found some more youtubes and i thin i have it now....  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2020 May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i  now understand that i can look at the differeces iin the develop mode.  what i am now trying to understand is whether the camera settings are not honored if adode default is set on raw import.

is this a bad question?  im just trying to understand this......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i  now understand that i can look at the differeces iin the develop mode.  what i am now trying to understand is whether the camera settings are not honored if adode default is set on raw import.

is this a bad question?  im just trying to understand this......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I don't understand your question? Please explain more detailed what you mean. 

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in the below window i can leave the adobe default as pictured or change it to my camera, 7DMkII.  What doed this do and if i make the change to LR, changing default, what will it then look like?

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 9.15.44 AM.png

ok, so im new to using LR - question - i see the adobe default for Raw import but am wondering, how do i tell what the difference is between that and changing the setting to my current camera (7DMkII)?  What does it mean or do when changing the setting from lets say to my camera from adobe?  Tks for helping a noobe....

Tks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not the place to see the difference between camera profiles. You need to import the photo(s) one time, and then be in the Develop Module, and use any of the methods I described above to see the difference between camera profiles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be wrong, but I think the real question being asked here is about how to see MY camera defaults that I have set. I struggled with this after Adobe changed things recently. But then I watched this video a couple of times and followed her instructions. Now I have Lightroom Classic 9.2.1 actually reading my camera defaults the way I expect them to be read. At least things are working for me.

Setting camera defaults in Lightroom Classic 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks for her link.  Helpful.  Not sure why one would want anything other than how the camera was set when importing pictures.  Why would on want any program to apply its own defaults over whats set in the camera when shooting the picture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic's capabilities in this regard are "evolving". What was demonstrated in that video is very new. It used to be that Lightroom was incapable of reading anything set by the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks Jim - to make sure i understand this.  if i have the raw import set to adobe default then any settings i may have made on the camera will not be honored on the pictures after import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore this message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

huh ?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please excuse duplicate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen your question, but have not been able to sign in this morning. There seems to be some problems with the website. Anyway, what I have discovered is that if I have set up my defaults according to the guidelines in that video I can change settings in my camera and Lightroom will honor those changes when I import the images. I have to create my own defaults and save them as a preset and make that preset the default as outlined in the video.

When I do that, I can change the profile in the camera from Standard to Landscape or to Portrait, and when the images are imported to Lightroom they have the appropriate profile applied to them. Of course, that assumes that I'm shooting raw images. This is something new for Lightroom because in the past all of those in-camera settings were ignored. I have also found that other settings seem to be honored as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you again.  i had forgotten about the "camera settings" drop down choice......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines