• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Lightroom Catalog file size went from 15mb to 500mb

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Lightroom catalogs used to be 15mb and just recently they are all 500mb. This us a problem when I have hundreds of catalogs!  Has anyone else experienced this huge increase? Even with catalogs with only 100 photos in it? What can I do??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the exact name of the Adobe program you use so a Moderator may move this message to that forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited my post to include Adobe Lightroom - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2020 Aug 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that-

Lightroom-Classic

Lightroom-Desktop

Lightroom-Mobile

Lightroom-Web

Lightroom for iOS/Android

They are all Adobe programs! A Version Number helps.

And what do you mean by "hundreds of catalogs!"?

15mb  Is miniscule! (smaller that one image file) Do you mean Gb?

And where are you seeing the 'size'?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 Classic on Desktop (the latest version)

Yes the file size used to be that small and now it's much much larger! I create a new lightroom catalog for each

client and keep them as backup - if each one is going to exponentially grow I am worried.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 8.35.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2020-08-03 at 8.35.25 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, this is because of the new profiles. They make Lightroom store color lookup tables inside the catalog. Not much you can do about it, I'm afraid (except not using a new catalog for each client because there is no need to do that).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 is not Classic. What is the exact version number you are using? And having "hundreds" of catalogs is really not a very efficient method of using Lightroom. Personally, I would recommend using keywords and simplifying your catalog system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 11.12.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replies. Yes you are at Classic v9.3 the 'latest'.

Your screen-clips showing the 3.4MB catalog indicates to me that it is entirely empty. (Created 9.52 Modified 9.54) So it might be expected to be small.

I created a Catalog with two photos- it is 5.34 MB

ScreenShot066.jpg

Your other catalog (Created June15, Modified July31) is bound to be this large as you have possibly imported photos, developed those photos, added metadata, etc. All your work is recorded in the Catalog file- a database file. You cannot add data to a database without it getting larger.

My current Catalog (~70,000 photos) is 1.6GB.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your reply however, that's why I chose those catalogs they both have the same amount of photos - I edit weddings all the time and it's only until last month did I notice that the size has gone up. All my weddings PRE July are all about 16mb and all over 2 thousand images in them all edited etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines