• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 and Catalina

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, has anyone found a way to get Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 to work on the new version of Apple Catalina. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2020 Jan 25, 2020

Lightroom 6 works on Catalina if it was already installed and activated on your computer before you updated to Catalina. Lightroom 6 will not work on Catalina if you try to install it after that computer has been updated to Catalina, or if you try to install it on a new computer that is running Catalina. There is no fix or work around.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have Catalina installed as the boot drive. You need another (external) boot drive like on an SSD that's got an older OS. Then you boot off that drive, run the installer and have it install in the Catalina Applications folder. Reboot off boot drive (Catalina) and run LR5 or LR6. They are 64-bit applications. You may have to jump through a few 'security' hoops in system pref's after booting back into Catalina. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that is almost clear. Do you have a link for me, how i can make an boot drive on a external SSD. My old iMac has High Sierra.

I have found this... https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/macos-external-drive-3659666/

Thanks,

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I will try tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I managed to make a startup USB with Sierra, but when i restart my iMac (with catalina installed) with the option-key pressed, i can choose the USB device. I got errors some securiry errors. I started with command+r i also removed all security protections. When i reboot with option-key i always get an message the a software update is required to use the boot-drive . After choosing update it still doesn't start. Something is updating, but after the update procedure, where the screen gets blank, it still doesn't work. I did it several times... I can't see what i'm doing wrong. Maybe installing High Sierra on the usb?  I'm trying it tomorrow...

It's a pitty,

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed now High Sierra, but now at start-up i got a forbidden sign. Maybe is all the above not working, because i have a new 2020 iMac. 😞

Thanks,

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will have to see if such a new Mac can boot under anything but Catalina. Probably not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the only option is choose an other product or go for the subscription model. The subscription model is two times the price of a former upgrade, which i dit almost every year.

With the things above, i learned a lot. Maybe there is an option to copy all the files concerning lightroom from the old system to the new..... but that takes a lot of time...

Thanks,

Fred

p.s. maybe someone made a 64 bit installer ..... or Adobe maybe ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you--it worked.

I'm also using an older laptop, and just copied the two folders, and put the copies on the Catalina computer in a folder, and copy them to library before opening lightroom.

I had previously restored the app to the catalina computer during setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with: "I had previously restored the app to the catalina computer during setup." From where do you restored it and how?

thanks , fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had it running on my macbook pro, and transferred it when I set up my new imac by using my time machine backup. My laptop is still running macOS 10.12.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6 was already installed and active on my computer before I update to Catalina. I can not import any photos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catalina has set some permissions that have to be changed in order for import to happen properly. As I am not a Mac person, I don't know the details, but searching this forum will yield the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I upgrade to Catalina and the installed Lightroom 6  not will work. Is there any possiblities to uninstall Catalina and go back to previous system and install Lightroom 6 again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be more specific? You were able to install LR6? Because the installer AFAIK is 32-bit and will not even install under Catalina. I have LR5 running fine under Catalina but it was installed long before I updated to that OS. So LR6 should run on Catalina too once installed in an older OS that supports the installer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2020 Sep 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been along and frusrating relationship between Adobe and Apple users.   It still is.  Most of us are not computer or software specialsts especially relating to OS.  I came from the PC world in the mid 1990s to Apple and for a while enjoyed PhotoShop, Illustrator, and After Effects.  Later InDesign.  But this subscription based era or decade is increasingly more complicated.  Clouds as well.  Most of us just want to use a dependable software from machine to machine and keep track of our photo libraries.  Admittedly iPhoto in all its variatinos and Apreture were not good applications.  Adobe was but whatever the arguement of the chicken or the egg soured our relationships.  Going back to the PC world it not a good process either.  So this is a very frustrating catch-22.  Lightroom is an exceptioal product if set up correctly on whatever machine. But the reality is I'd like a software that runs on my computer to keep track of an extensive photography library and create catalogs of grouped searchable content.   I see it more as the VHS BETA wars of the mid 1970s.  Trade offs one way or the other.  Peter Krogh is why I got into Lightroom and built an extensive photogrpahy digitization studio.  The goal was to put family history libraries of photographs and documents onto hard drives that could be cloned over time unti there is a stable long term drive option.  And avoid clouds.  Privacy issues for one.  And to an extent the ongoing now lifetime monthly or annual fees.   Whether its Apple or Adobe I don't like eternal lifetime contracts to rent or lease software.  Its a great cash cow for developers and software companies but it does not fit the average consumer.   So unti there is an option otherwise I will contineue on with Apple and Adobe but cautious how and what is the relationship.  At some point I'll give up.  Its just not today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an amateur user of Photoshop and Lightroom. Over the years I upgraded regularly to the latest version of these applications. I was aware of the issues that would arise when Apple moved to 64 bit but nevertheless upgraded Lightroom to its latest versions couple of years ago because I knew it was 64 bit. The fact that Adobe won't issue a 64 bit mini-app for authentication purposes to let us use LR 64 bit is a disgrace. The workarounds helpfully posted here are far too cumbersome for those of use who are not professional users of PS and LR. Adobe has made it clear they don't want users like me. Fair enough. I have cut my losses and deleted PS and LR. I will never again use an Adobe product and I will advise all the members of my camera club to do the same. Thank you and goodbye Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is ridiculous that Adobe forces people to pay twice for the same product. I hope they release a patch to work around the license authentication problem. In the meantime, I do agree with the rest of the community that feels conned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Certainly, the word "force" does not mean what you are implying.

Nevertheless, maybe some people feel conned but "the rest of the community" seems to love the Creative Cloud set of tools, and apparently see it as a great value. Over 18 million subscribers a year ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apple broke it. Blaming Adobe will not help.

LR6 is over three versions old. There will be no more updates to LR6 since the update to version 7.0 is long past. The current version of 9.x works just fine with the needed changes. Unfortunately it is subscription only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines