• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After exporting catalog files changes their names & convert into dng. How to keep the same names?

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. When other people send me a catalog with changed file names in dng format, and after editing these files I send them back, they cannot locate the files in their global LR catalog, because the file names changed. For example, the original filename was 1234567.CR2 and after the exporting in the catalog it became 123BB456-7E58-98DT-876TTF654HGT.dng. What is the problem and how to fix this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Perhaps you have imported into some different Catalog, some Smart Preview files that they have sent you?

I don't think that is what was intended. You should just OPEN a LrC Catalog file which they send you (which they have made, using "Export as Catalog"). This will then include references to the proper filenames as well as their own initial editing and organisational metadata such as keywording etc. Even though you do not have those particular imported files available, if Smart Previews have al

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file name looks like the internal name given to Smart Previews. I don't understand the rest of your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you have imported into some different Catalog, some Smart Preview files that they have sent you?

I don't think that is what was intended. You should just OPEN a LrC Catalog file which they send you (which they have made, using "Export as Catalog"). This will then include references to the proper filenames as well as their own initial editing and organisational metadata such as keywording etc. Even though you do not have those particular imported files available, if Smart Previews have also been sent to you then this Catalog can employ those instead. LrC keeps track of which is the preview for what (temporarily missing) original. After editing the photos further yourself, you only need to send that updated Catalog file back to communicate your work.

They can then merge your work into their own starting Catalog, using "Import from Catalog". Either that can be as an update that overwrites their own initial editing, or else as new virtual copies that sit alongside - but either way, referring to the full originally imported image file (which remains present in their system).

In Lr Classic we are NOT "editing files". E.g. Photoshop's remit is to update particular files by first opening those, and later saving changes when closing them. LrClassic's remit is to update an image library (in the form of a Catalog). That Catalog is what gets opened for editing; that is what our work causes to be changed. It certainly does refer to some external files / smart previews, but those external files / smart previews are not what we are working ON; those are what we are working FROM. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. I usually just drag and drop the catalog file into the Lightroom. But when I read your first sentence I realized that I can open the catalog by itself (just clicked twice on the catalog file). And everything worked - files have their usual names, not long dng filenames. Thank you. I guess the problem was that I was trying to import this catalog into my own personal catalog. But usually, in older Lightroom versions it worked well. I imported and edited a lot of catalogs that way. Thank you again for your help 🙏 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines