Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Big deception when you buy a new one... i hope they can it really fast! 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They can fix.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera has just been released and it takes Adobe a while in order to be able to use the RAW from brand new cameras. Most likely your camera will be supported in the next release of Lightroom Classic (but no guarantees either). In the meantime, you have to use the Nikon software to view and edit these RAWs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the camera makers also make software, they see Adobe as a competitor and do not share data or new cameras with them. Thus is normally takes 1-2 software releases from Adobe to learn the new file formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Big deception" is the Camera manufacturer!

They change the format of their proprietary raw file with every new camera release.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can it be a "big deception" when Adobe maintains a public list of cameras currently supported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny, it has been a 5 years since I've bought a new camera and just recently bought the Z6 II.  I was telling my roommate how it "used to be" that you couldn't load your RAW files into Photoshop or Lightroom until they updated their support for those new camera file formats.  Naively, I thought that they had "fixed" this issue.  I thought that maybe Manufacturers decided to play nice and standardize their RAW formats, or at the very least, they would work with software companies to enable support BEFORE a new camera was released.  BOY WAS I WRONG!!!

Honestly, I didn't even realize that Nikon produced their own software, I've been using PS and lightroom for so long.  I guess when I need to process some images in the next week or so, I'll do the dance of using Nikon software to convert to TIFF and then importing those files.  Kind of a pain - especially when you think you might have to do this for the next couple of months.  *sigh*  oh wel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what you're saying is you didn't do the necessary amound of research before spending over $2K for a camera ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not.  It wouldn't have affected my purchase decision because my D750 was busted and I wanted a new camera.  If I was willing to switch from F-mount to Z-mount, the temporary lack of RAW support wasn't going to be a deciding factor.  It still sucks, though.  And I still don't quite understand why Nikon doesn't work with Adobe to ensure RAW support when a new format is released.  Do they really see Adobe's tools as a competitor to their tools?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote " And I still don't quite understand why Nikon doesn't work with Adobe to ensure RAW support when a new format is released.  Do they really see Adobe's tools as a competitor to their tools? "

Exactly! you should lobby them to do just that, however it's my opinion that Nikon would not wish to disclose their marketing details. Also how would they treat with all the other third party competitors of Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw.

Nikon  also has rejected the solution by Adobe to adopt the DNG file format, along with most of the Camera Manufacturers, for more than 15 years. Nikon and other Camera Manufacturers view their RAW files and their processing method details priority and a marketing tool.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's kind of what I figured.  They don't want to make the format open for software developers to use because it would expose data before a camera release.  Seems though, that you could have a program where software developers, say, agree to certain criteria or join a "trusted" kind of program with a camera mfg that would allow them to integrate that raw format earlier into their software.  I dunno.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what i do with Capture NX_D .  It's boring but it works. And i love the new Z6 so i'll wait. Anyway i have no choice 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines