• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Albums are missing after migration from Lightroom classic to Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After migrating my catalogue to Lightroom, all 65K photos are there, but no albums. I realized a bit too late that the albums would be based on collections, not my imported folders. Should I delete all photos from Lightroom, create collections in Lightroom CC and migrate all over again or can I, after the sync at some point finishes, go back into Lightroom CC and create collections which then can be synced to Lightroom? Or will this just be a mess? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not migrated a catalog from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom. However, it is my understanding that collections are ignored, and the way the images are migrated and organized is the way it is done and trying to create collections in Lightroom Classic isn't going to change anything. The migration is what it is. You cannot expect to have things organized in Lightroom the way they were organized in Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says on this site : 

NOTE:

Collections of your photos in Lightroom Classic automatically become albums in Lightroom. (It says that smart collections are ignored, though). 

So to the ones who have experience with this, it would be great to know if collections will sync to albums if I create them in Lightroom classic now, after migration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim is wrong, collections do migrate as albums (and do sync). Creating collections in Lightroom Classic now would only work if you sync your Lightroom Classic catalog, and if you sync the collections you create. Adobe does not recommend to keep a migrated catalog synced as well. The idea of migration is that you move to Lightroom desktop, not use both.

It is probably better to start again. Remove all photos from the cloud, rename your Lightroom Classic catalog (needed because otherwise you will get an error saying that the catalog has already been migrated), create the collections and migrate again. If I remember correctly, collections sets will migrate as cloud folders ('album sets'). They do not sync however, so that is another reason why migrating again may be a better idea.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million for you support Johan! Also, the sync to cloud is stuck, so hopefully it will be better when I try again. What are the best ways to delete everything from both cloud and desktop? And my catalog and photos in lightroom classic will not be affected by deleting on cloud and Lightroom, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quickest way is probably to use Lightroom desktop. Deletions will sync to the cloud, so you only have to delete the images there. Your Lightroom Classic catalog will not be affected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you migrating to Lightroom because you want to switch from Classic to Lightroom? If you migrate your photos you should discontinue using Lightroom Classic going forward.

If you wish to continue using Classic,  you should sync individual collections instead of migrating. 
Do you understand the difference between the applications and how they work together? If you continue to use both applications without understanding this you may create a big mess of duplicated photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Theresa_J

Ah, I understand that there is a lot I do not understand. 🙂 Thank you for trying to enlighten me and I hope you can explain a bit further.

Sync vs Migration is a very good point. If it is possible to continue using both Lightroom and LR classic, that is what I want. How do I do this? If I now delete everything from Lightroom desktop, I will be back where I started.

What you suggest is to sync one collection at a time. This means changes in the collection in classic will be updated if I make changes in the album in Lightroom and vice versa? 

How do I sync collections and is there something in particular I need to do to prepare?

Thank you again, this is extremely helpful. I find the world of Ligthroom a bit of a jungle to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a jungle. Adobe calls the jungle, the Ecosystem. I have a course on LinkedIn Learning about the ecosystem to help you navigate the jungle. Here's a link. 

https://www.linkedin.com/learning-login/share?forceAccount=false&redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.linkedin...

Here's a link to the help docs that show you how to sync a Lightroom Classic collection to Lightroom.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/how-to/sync-photos-lightroom-mobile.html

When you sync a collection changes made in Lightroom will show up in Lightroom Classic. When you upload photos to Lightroom, they will download to Lightroom Classic. For this reason you should delete everything in Lightroom before you sync your Lightroom Classic catalog to it. Otherwise you will end up with a bunch of duplicates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your help. It is a jungle, indeed! How about cloud storage? I have recently signed up for the 1TB and want all my photos saved on the cloud. Since I want to use both Lightroom and classic, should I start syncing from Classic or from the new lightroom? And will it duplicate photos on the cloud if I sync from both? (I hope it is smarter than that..)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you want to use Lightroom and Lightroom Classic together? Things can get really confusing if you do, and it sounds like you are already confused enough. Using both apps together on the same computer is not recommended.

Do you want all of your photos is the cloud because they are safely backed up there? Or do you want all of your photos in the cloud just so you can have access to them anywhere you are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, I want to both have i) access to a good editing tool with smart import/export solutions, ii) access to my photos from anywhere and iii) safe storage for my photos. This is why i want it all:

i) well, that's obvious, I guess? It seems to me the new Lightroom gives very few options. Question is, would it work to go back and forth; importing in classic, working in Lightroom and exporting from classic. ii) I have a big job ahead of me, sorting old photos, deleting rubbish and I figure it will be easier to do a bit of work on it every now and then on an ipad while traveling, instead of having to slot a time to sit down with my disk and mac, as that "never" happens. iii) I do want safe storage and I considered using a different storage, but price-wise, it made sense to use Adobe for it all. 

Would this only create a mess or could I use Lightroom classic on my mac and Lightroom on my ipad and phone? 

Or, is Lightroom classic available for phone/ipad and does it work well? If so, I should probably stick to classic, as long as I still can put all my photos on the cloud? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing in Classic, editing (the synced smart preview) in Lightroom and exporting from Classic is very well possible. Lightroom Classic is not available on the iPad, only Lightroom for iPad is.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Theresa, I just started watching your course, thank you for the link. I will not use both Classic and CC on the same computer, but would like to use CC on the ipad and classic on the computer. I see your other questions above as quite sentral. As I explained below, I do want both safe back-up of my photos, but is that possible for my Classic catalogue? To me it seems like the cloud cannot be used for back-up of my photos on lightroom classic? Does it only store smart previews? Or, since I'll opt to sync (not migrate) to CC, will the files be uploaded to the cloud from CC, like it does with photos added directly to CC? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Classic syncs smart previews, not the originals. You can NOT use Classic to upload your original photos to the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The horse has already left the stable, however the link below will provide an article with useful info.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/migrate-from-classic-to-lightroom-cloud/ 

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines