All my virtual copies disappeared

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2021 Apr 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I opened LR, I found that all of my virtual copies had disappeared. I restored the backup from a few days ago and they were back.

Question is this: Using the attribute filter, I had previously selected all of my virtual copies in a collection. Then I exported them all to a specific file location using the Export function. When I did this, did this somehow delete or move my virtual copies? 

I haven't experienced any type of errors and didn't move the catalog. I'm trying to figure out what I did that could have caused this. Is there some setting I should look at that I somehow set to filter out virtual copies?

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just loaded images from a shoot yesterday and noticed that some of the shots already had virtual images created? If I open the virtual image, I can see that there are no adjustments made to the image and I don't think I created the virtual copies in my sleep?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you perhaps have a collection selected when this happened? If you hit the Delete key while being in a selection, all the selected images or virtual copies will be removed from that collection. Because they are only removed from the collection, and not from the catalog, you will not get any warning. It's easy to think they have been removed completely, however.

Removing virtual copies from the catalog will generate a warning dialog first, so that is something you can't do without noticing it (well, there actually is a "splat delete" keystroke combination that can do this, but because that entails no less than four keys, it is not something you could press by mistake).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think you have a major mis-understanding of the nature of 'Virtual Copies'.

As the name implies, they are NOT physical files that you can 'Move' separate to the 'Master' Original file.

They are only an alternate view (Preview) of the original camera file referenced in the catalog.

You can however, Export from the Virtual Copy and you then create another new 'physical' file with the Develop edits you have applied to the VC baked in to the exported file.

And, yes, there is a way to "filter out virtual copies" using the [Attribute] filter there are three small icons to selectively show/hide  'Originals / Virtual Copies / videos'-

2021-04-12-Window.jpg

Strange that VCs are appearing randomly. They are easily created by the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl+' ]

And when creating a Collection of images there is an option to [Make New Virtual Copies], which might be your experience.

(But not to exclude Catalog corruption from the possibilities 😞  )

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.2, Photoshop 22.3, Lightroom 4.2, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines