• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Anyway to publish photos to new Google Photos?

Engaged ,
May 29, 2015 May 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to publish my edits from LightRoom to the new Google Photos?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not apart from exporting and uploading manually, but I am sure somebody will write a plugin soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Jeffrey's plugin already supports Google Photos: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Export to PicasaWeb” Lightroom Plugin.

Here's the first paragraph of his documentation:

This plugin allows you to export images from Lightroom directly to your Google PicasaWeb (AKA “Google Photos”) account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on Wolf's reply: I have used Friedl's plugin to export to Google Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey is quite amazing that he apparently built the plugin before the Google photos thing was public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Or Google Photos isn't as new as it seems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao vdL wrote:

Jeffrey is quite amazing that he apparently built the plugin before the Google photos thing was public.

Google Photos is essentially just a rebranding of the photo sharing functionality in Google+, which itself uses Picasaweb (they're kind of interchangeable).

So yes, Jeffrey's plugin works perfectly well with Google Photos: I use it myself for this purpose.

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2015 May 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using PhotoUpload which also publishes to Picasaweb.  So I assume (haven't done anything yet) that it will continue to work.  But my question is more regarding the free vs paid storage space.  If I republish my existing Picasaweb photos to be < 16Mb, do they become "free"?  Can I continue to publish new photos to Picasaweb at < 16Mb and they'll be "free"? How do I find out which of my photos are currently counting against my storage and which are categorized as "free"?  Probably should be asking this at Google but their GooglePhotos Google+ page has lots of questions but not many answers.  I'm kind of hoping someone here understands this better than I do.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There does seem to be a subtle difference between Google Photos and Picasa.
If you use Jeffrey's plugin to create and album in the Lightroom publish service, It will appear in Google Photos AND in Picasa Web.

If you create an Album in Google Photos it will not appear in Picasa Web.

There is also a difference between the two albums.

The one created by the plugin (using the Picasa Web method) does not order itself. If you add more images they appear at the end. You then have to go into Picasa Web and re-order the images (if you want them ordered by date).

The Google Photos created album automatically orders itself based on date created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there EVER a way to get Lightroom export/publish plugins WITHOUT having to go through this guy "Jeffrey" to get it???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, write the code yourself, Creative Logan.There are several authors of LR plugins - some provide them as freeware and some as purchasable. When yours is ready, let us know into which camp it falls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 30, 2015 May 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I import all my photos from my iPhone into Google Photos into Lightroom and then edit them and publish all the changes back to Google photos? Would I have to download each file one by one them import into LightRoom or can I sync right from Google photos into Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be better to export the photos from LightRoom with Metadata and upload to Google Photos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bryced87 wrote:

Would it be better to export the photos from LightRoom with Metadata and upload to Google Photos?

You could do that, but I don't see how it would be "better": using a published collection, you can easily manage an album, keep it up to date, etc; exporting and uploading individual files means you have to do all that manually instead.

The PicasaWeb plugin discussed in this thread works just fine with Google Photos: I used it for this purpose just yesterday. You should give it a try.

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌but someone here that the picasaweb plugin doesn't sort it by date. Also does it keep it as free storage? All my pics are under 16MP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2015 Aug 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done more playing with Google Photos and it appears that if you use a PicasaWeb publish service it uploads to Picasa and not Google Photos, which is a slightly different environment.

What this means is that your published collection albums appear in PicasaWeb AND Google Photos but a re not sorted by default. You can go to the PicasaWeb site and re-order them if you want.
I have also found that uploading to PicasaWeb via a publish service maintains the file size and therefore counts towards your storage limit (which is OK if that's what you want). There's no way to tell it you want unlimited storage.

Conversely if you download and use Google's uploader, you can choose whether you keep the original file size or unlimited uploads at a reduced size.

If you use this uploader and create an album within Google Photos than all the photos are automatically ordered. The album does not appear in PicasaWeb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As rickbowden has described, you can have Google Photo Backup monitor folders and upload them to Google Photos with the perks of "High quality (unlimited storage)" or "Original". More on what those terms mean on nackblog.

Then, you can set up a publishing service inside Lightroom for Hard Drive and have Google Photo Backup watch those published folders.

After some playing around with it, I found that while the new photos were uploaded to Google Photos, future edits and deletions did not synced like they may with a dedicated Google Photos plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines