Aperture Visual Folders in Lightroom CC?

Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Aperture there was a thumbnail representation image for each folder, which it would automatically choose, or that you could set - sort of like setting a keyframe from a video in Youtube/Vimeo etc.  Then you could go to say, 2015 and just scan the thumbnails for an image from an event like a trip or wedding instead of scanning down your list of folder names.
Does something like this exist in Lightroom?  Aperture also had a scrubbing feature that allowed you to cycle through all the images in a folder by just swiping over the thumbnail.

I finally made the switch and find in much harder to find a specific image I'm looking for.  Which birthday of the last 10 was the one with all the colorful balloons...

Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Aperture Visual Folders in Lightroom CC?

Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Aperture there was a thumbnail representation image for each folder, which it would automatically choose, or that you could set - sort of like setting a keyframe from a video in Youtube/Vimeo etc.  Then you could go to say, 2015 and just scan the thumbnails for an image from an event like a trip or wedding instead of scanning down your list of folder names.
Does something like this exist in Lightroom?  Aperture also had a scrubbing feature that allowed you to cycle through all the images in a folder by just swiping over the thumbnail.

I finally made the switch and find in much harder to find a specific image I'm looking for.  Which birthday of the last 10 was the one with all the colorful balloons...

Thanks!

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export, Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether your quesion is about Lr, Cloud base version, or LrC, the Traditional version (As there is NO Lr CC version anymore. there was back in 2015-2016), what you are asking is Not available in either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I'm using the non Cloud base version LrC "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic" 9.3 release.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to associate an image representation of each folder in Lightroom Classic.

By the way, you don't really say you are using Lightroom Classic — is that the software you are using?

"I finally made the switch and find in much harder to find a specific image I'm looking for. Which birthday of the last 10 was the one with all the colorful balloons..."

There are plenty of organizational tools available in Lightroom Classic, but you have to determine the best way to use them for your situation (for example, you could assign a keyword of "colorful balloons"), but you have to actually do the work to use these organizational tools. Most of them (except for face detection) are not automated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's a bummer. Maybe those tool are for more user-friendly, less pro software.  It's just so much easier to scan images than folder names.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can easily scan the contents of a folder, just click on the folder name.

But anyway, there are many many tools available to accomplish what you want, you just have to use them.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

Thanks. That's a bummer. Maybe those tool are for more user-friendly, less pro software.  It's just so much easier to scan images than folder names.

End Quote:

Not in my opinion.

For how long will you remember what an image overlaid on a folder icon really means, what other images are in that folder?

I have all my images in Top Level folders by years, Pictures 20xx, and then Subfolders by the Month and Day, Numbers (0814), of when they were shot and sometimes by Place Names like New Orleans, Asheville, Key West and the like under the Year Top Level folder and then month and day dates under that Place subfolder.

Those are also cross referenced by Keywords regardless if shots from those places were taken over several years.

What good would it do me to have one of the images from any of those shoots as a Cover to the folder the images are in. For me that would be more confusion as to what was in each folder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, like which tools?  Are they third party?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 0
Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My folder structure isn't as complex but I bet I can find the picture of a Key West sunset faster than I can find a folder with"Key West" in it especially if they're in chronological not alphabetical order.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tools are built into Lightroom Classic. Metadata. And if you have keyword "Key West", I fail to see any speed advantage in finding the folder compared to finding the keyword. In fact, because keywords are sorted either alphabetically or hierarchically, I would expect finding keywords to be faster than finding folder names.

But I do see the advantage that keywords have in allowing the content with a single keyword to be spread across multiple folders. In my own case, I have visited Buffalo, NY on probably two dozen occasions (before I moved there), and I can search all of my Buffalo, NY photos without having to know which folder they are in or which date the photo was taken (which to me, remembering dates is simply an impossible task other than birthdays).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 17, 2020 0