Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple photos are not imported into LR Classic 10.0

Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I installed Lightroom Classic and Photoshop on my iMac under MacOs Catalina 10.15.7. But I am unable to import Apple photos. Apple Photos is configured as system photo library. LR apparently (unlike Photoshop) doesn't even try to access it. Under System Settings-Security-Privacy-Photos Photoshop appears as an app that has access to photos, but not LR.

I have already tried the relevant instructions but without success.

Catalina is the latest OS, that works on my iMac.

wolfgang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

This is a VERY BAD IDEA.

You should choose ONE Photo origanizer and editor. Whether that is LrC or whatever Apple photo app and Stick to it.

Going back or forth will only confuse you and the 2 different programs.

Edits done in either will not be visible in the other unless you Export from one, including the edits, and importing to the other. You then end up with many different Copies of the same image, edited in 2 different programs and not one of them holds all the edits to the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic does not have an option to import from Apple Photos. You need to select the photos in Apple Photos and then export them as 'Unmodifed Original' to a place on your hard drive. Check the option to include IPTC as XMP if you have keywords you want to keep. Now Lightroom Classic can import them from there.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

danke, ist komplizierter als ich dachte - über 25000 Fotos!; Jetzt bräuchte ich noch einen Tipp, wie ich dann den Ordner mit den Fotos auf der Festplatte mit apple Fotos synchron halten kann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a VERY BAD IDEA.

You should choose ONE Photo origanizer and editor. Whether that is LrC or whatever Apple photo app and Stick to it.

Going back or forth will only confuse you and the 2 different programs.

Edits done in either will not be visible in the other unless you Export from one, including the edits, and importing to the other. You then end up with many different Copies of the same image, edited in 2 different programs and not one of them holds all the edits to the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ja, danke, das leuchtet mir ein

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, does this mean that i have to import both extensions XMP and JPEG into LR classic ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Johan, does this mean that i have to import both extensions XMP and JPEG into LR classic ?

By @Peter27685491w64z

You never have to import XMP files. If these are present, then Lightroom Classic reads them on import of the image they belong to. That only applies to raw files however. AFAIK, Lightroom classic will ignore XMP files that belong to JPEG images, because in case of JPEG images it assumes that metadata are written into the JPEG file header.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or open, Expand, Show Contents, of the Package File (Really a Folder that Apple has hidden from the users of iPhoto and or Photos) and Copy or Move those Original Images Out of that package file/folder to some other folder on your drive and then LrC can Import them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines