Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Awful performance in Lightroom Classic lately

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

for a while now.. maybe a month or so, (maybe more) Lightroom Classic is getting so damn slow I'm really looking for alternatives to get away from this awful experience. (I've used Capture One before, so that the most likely candidate).

So something seems to have happened to LR.. It used to be fast, now its so annoyingly slow I soon can'tr be bothered with it anymore. Some googling on this topic suggests I'm not alone..

Ok, my setup:

Windows 10

Intel i7 (4 core) @4.1GHz

32GB RAM

nVidia GeForce 1070 (Latest drivers through GeForce experience)

GPU is enabled in LR.

other stuff I've done to try to fix the performance:

I moved LR cache and catalog to a new 500GB SSD drive.

I removed most folders from my catalog so that it wouldn't contain so many files.

Nothing helped.. Performance is still absolutely crap.

Examples:

Just browsing from one image to next in Develop mode takes about 2-3 secs to even show the next pic (Canon 18MPix shots in raw format) this used to be nearly insantaneous.

After it shows the new pic, it takes another 2-3 secs before I can even touch/move the sliders.

"Auto Tone" takes anything between 5 to 30 secs before it appears. I have no Idea why the inconsistency..

Tried enabling/disabling GPU.. Both modes are slow as heck..

Meanwhile, this set up plays FarCry @2560x1440 like a dream..

Any suggestions? It was not always like this, seems something bad happened not too long ago.. Anyone else?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off verify what drive the catalog is in.

Now you stated a SSD with 500 GB, how much space remains?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on the SSD its plenty of space left, 200GB

Should say that the actual images are on a "classical" (large and unfragmented) HardDiskDrive (proably 0.5TB drive storage left)

But this is not new, it used to work just fine. (The cache and cat files are now on the SSD)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second off please accomplish the following.

In Lightroom, click on help. Click on System information, click on copy. Paste into a reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has changed in the last month or more, new antivirus? New internet security app? New computer maintainance app?

New Plug-in for Lightroom?

etc?

by the way, perhaps old urban legend, are you perhaps running more than one antivirus, was windows defender not in use before and is now, and did an update change that. Or is all that just rubish?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing obvious new, Antivirus is same as before. But is this a known issue? Antivirus making LR run slowly?

Otherwise, no new Plugins in LR..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

DannyBoy3k  wrote

Nothing obvious new, Antivirus is same as before. But is this a known issue? Antivirus making LR run slowly?

Otherwise, no new Plugins in LR..

Yes, Antivirus software is the single worst thing for Lightroom performance there is. This is general for any application that uses a database and does lots of disk access. Some are worse than others but if you can exclude your AV software from scanning any of the catalog and preview database folders, you'll likely see a big difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And have you tried disconnecting devices plugged in via usb? Other than mouse and keyboard? Smartphone, SD card reader, tablet, WACOM, monitor calibration, sound (not normal), Bluetooth dongle, WiFi dongle, Ethernet dongle, etc

Looking for a device causing a conflict, looking for a device breaking the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not tried to unplug stuff. I imagine if I had a device conflict Id either notice it thorugh Windows notifications or some other software. LR is the only software that has suddenly start to run abnormally slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you now doing a lot of brushing and/or spot healing, more than before when LR was running well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dj_paige No, I usually do that stuff in Photoshop, its the simple stuff that used to be fast in LR that is slow as heck now. Just browsing images, applying adjustments etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines