• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

background color change

New Here ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something very odd happened to my Lightroom yesterday.  The background color of the right and left side panels in Lightroom changed from grey to a dark maroon-brown.  Also, I now notice a maroon-brown tinge to areas in some black and white images (not color).  In addition, I notice the same color background around Photoshop work space and a maroon-brown tinge to some BW photos in Photoshop.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

You mention Microsoft, so I'm guessing that you're on Windows. And a brownish or yellowish interface (or a brownish or yellowish tint on images) indicates a defective monitor profile.

Windows 10 is known to install low quality profiles from monitor manufacturers when doing updates, and these profiles are often defective  out of the box. Lightroom is color managed, and uses the monitor profile to display correct colors.

As troubleshooting, and as a possible (temporary) fix, try setting the moni

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Aug 15, 2020 Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monitor profile corrupted or video card problems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply.  Yesterday, (Aug 16) the color was back to normal.  Today, the marron-brown has returned.  The print output (paper) of BW images in not affected.  The colors in other apps (Google or Microsoft) are fine.  Maybe I should get a computer pro to check out my computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mention Microsoft, so I'm guessing that you're on Windows. And a brownish or yellowish interface (or a brownish or yellowish tint on images) indicates a defective monitor profile.

Windows 10 is known to install low quality profiles from monitor manufacturers when doing updates, and these profiles are often defective  out of the box. Lightroom is color managed, and uses the monitor profile to display correct colors.

As troubleshooting, and as a possible (temporary) fix, try setting the monitor profile to sRGB. (use Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor)

With Lightroom closed, press the Windows key + R, type colrcpl in the box and press Enter.

Add the sRGB profile, then set it as Default.

If this fixes the issue, it is recommended that you calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibrator.

This will also create and install a custom monitor profile that accurately describes your monitor.

Note that no Windows native applications (except the latest version of Edge) are color managed.

They do not use the monitor profile, and are unaffected by a defective profile.

color-management.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Per,  Yes!  It worked.

You say, "If this fixes the issue, it is recommended that you calibrate the monitor with a hardware calibrator."

What is a "hardware calibrator"?  I assume it is not devices like Spyder from DataColor or X-Rite.

thanks,

Jimlub

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I assume it is not devices like Spyder from DataColor or X-Rite."

That's exactly what it is.

There are two reasons you want one. One, it's the only way to get reliably accurate color. Two, it's the only way to have complete control over a crucial component in the Photoshop/Lightroom ecosystem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines