I'd like to backup the lightroom files in the cloud. I don't know which of the files are still used and which are from previous lightroom versions. To save storage space I would like to scrap old files. I've never opened a new Lightroom catalog, so they all were created by installing new lightroom versions.
Attached you will see the print screen of my Lightroom folder:
I've the follwoing questions:
1. What is the file: Lightroom Library.Irlibrary? I assume it belongs to the old LR priot to LR CC and hence can be deleted.
2. What are the files Lightroom Catalog.Ircat and Catalog-2.Ircat? Are they predecessors of Catalog-2.2.Ircat? Can they be deleted?
3. What does the file Lightroom Catalog-2.2 Sync.Irdata contain.
Thank you for the support
Your current catalog file's name (and the folder it is in) is shown if you go to Catalog Settings->General. This file should be backed up regularly.
What files do you want to backup into the cloud? What files do you want to "scrap"? Be specific.
To answer your questions:
1. I have never seen a file with that name
2. These are LRCAT files not IRCAT. They are very likely older versions of your catalog. I don't know if they can be deleted because I don't know what is in them. No one across the internet knows if you need them. You have to look at what is in them and determine if you need them or not, or determine that these indeed are older versions of your current catalog (which again, no one here can do for you)
3. This contains information about syncing files with the Lightroom Mobile.
Very kind of you dj_paige for the fast reply :-), thank you.
I just want to keep all the files of the current activ catalog. It's catalog-2-2, hence I'm gonna keep all files that have 'catalog2-2' in their name. In addition I also will keep the folders 'Lightroom Settings', Lightroom Einstellungen', and of course the folder Backups.
According to your info I also will keep the Sync file (I didn't know it's function, but now it's clear).
This helps a lot, very clear, very concise. Thank you very much.
In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.
Thank you for the instruction, I will follow it next time.
Good advice already.
If you have a second hard drive available, the "backup" folder should be moved to a different hard drive than the LrCat files. If they are on the same drive, a single drive failure takes both the master and backups with it.
Thank you for the reminder, this is clear to me.
I'm also pondering to place the backup folder into the cloud as the catalog does not contain pictures. They're on a sepearte ahd drive.