• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup Lightroom files - which are new/ old files

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to backup the lightroom files in the cloud. I don't know which of the files are still used and which are from previous lightroom versions. To save storage space I would like to scrap old files. I've never opened a new Lightroom catalog, so they all were created by installing new lightroom versions.
Attached you will see the print screen of my Lightroom folder:
I've the follwoing questions:
1. What is the file: Lightroom Library.Irlibrary? I assume it belongs to the old LR priot to LR CC and hence can be deleted.

2. What are the files Lightroom Catalog.Ircat and Catalog-2.Ircat? Are they predecessors of Catalog-2.2.Ircat? Can they be deleted?

3. What does the file Lightroom Catalog-2.2 Sync.Irdata contain.
Thank you for the support

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your current catalog file's name (and the folder it is in) is shown if you go to Catalog Settings->General. This file should be backed up regularly.

What files do you want to backup into the cloud? What files do you want to "scrap"? Be specific.

To answer your questions:

1. I have never seen a file with that name

2. These are LRCAT files not IRCAT. They are very likely older versions of your catalog. I don't know if they can be deleted because I don't know what is in them. No one across the internet knows if you need them. You have to look at what is in them and determine if you need them or not, or determine that these indeed are older versions of your current catalog (which again, no one here can do for you)

3. This contains information about syncing files with the Lightroom Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very kind of you dj_paige for the fast reply :-), thank you.
I just want to keep all the files of the current activ catalog. It's catalog-2-2, hence I'm gonna keep all files that have 'catalog2-2' in their name. In addition I also will keep the folders 'Lightroom Settings', Lightroom Einstellungen', and of course the folder Backups.
According to your info I also will keep the Sync file (I didn't know it's function, but now it's clear).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to answer your questions :
1) willing to backup you LR catalogs is an excellent idea. A disk can die and then you loose all your catalogs and edits
2) .lrlibrary contains all the presets, profiles and preferences tuning you have chosen. Do not modify it
3) .lrdata contains all the database information . Do not modify it either bu anyway.
4) .lrcat are the catalogs them themselves. You can delete all previous versions to 2.2. Now, with LR10, catalogs are named with a -V10.
5) the biggest opportunity to save space on your disk is to delete the old backups. They are located in the backup folder. The backups are name by their date and time. You can delete all except the last one.

Hope this helped.

Best Regards
Eric Pecquerie
Sent from Eric’iMac 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This helps a lot, very clear, very concise. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future, So people don't have to download the image you have attached, please use the Insert Photos icon found in the Tool Bar of the Post and Reply text entry dialog window as pictured below.
Since you Can't Edit your original post to remove the Attached screen shot Please include the screen shot you attached to a new reply to this conversation by clicking the Blue Reply button under your original post and use the Insert Photos icon in the tool bar.
The Insert Photos icon is this one in the Tool Bar.

2020-11-19 10_13_55-Pasting images into posts - Adobe Support Community - 11608749.png

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the instruction, I will follow it next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice already.

If you have a second hard drive available, the "backup" folder should be moved to a different hard drive than the LrCat files. If they are on the same drive, a single drive failure takes both the master and backups with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the reminder, this is clear to me.
I'm also pondering to place the backup folder into the cloud as the catalog does not contain pictures. They're on a sepearte ahd drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines