Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup Metadata from old empty folders

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I want to backup the metadata from old folders where the RAWs are not on my Mac anymore.

The RAWs are on an external Harddrive but i still have the Metadata on my Mac and need to backup them for a system change.

Is there a way of getting them saved that i could continue working on the new system when i later put the RAWs back on the internal drive - or do i need to sync the metadata to the origninal RAW folder directly.

Thank you in advane 🙂

Cheers Andy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these photos still cataloged in the Lightroom Catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There are two places where photo metadata lives: in the Catalog, and alongside the Raw source files (or inside the source file for other kinds of imported image). There is no "sync" metadata command, by the way, only Write metadata from Catalog to file, and Read metadata from file to Catalog. And when you Write metadata, only some of the information held by the Catalog gets included. 

If you have got a Catalog where the images are (still) showing as imported, then there is no need to write out metadata: you will need to make sure your Catalog is backed up and is then back in place again, after your system change. This puts everything back as before, including all of the info which could not have been written out anyway.

If you had not got a Catalog where the images were (still) showing as imported, then you would not have any Catalog metadata which could be written to the images files. But that doesn't sound like the situation.

As well as making sure you have a backup of your Catalog and of all your image files, it is also worth making sure you have backups of all your presets, watermarks, any downloaded or generated camera and lens profiles etc. These are stored in two central folders under an "Adobe" location in the computer user's files area: one called CameraRaw and the other called Lightroom. To find this location you can e.g open the Presets location in your file browser, from the menu at top of Presets panel (or else from inside LR Preferences).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines