Highlighted

Backup to my external disk before upgrading

New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks to the Coronavirus crisis I've been able to take time to work with my thousands of photos on my computer. I have Lightroom 4 but want to upgrade. Here is my problem: Following the instructions of how to do the photos backup in my external hard disk there is an instruction that says to go to add a New Folder. When I select my external disk to backup, the option " New folder" is not highlighted and cannot create the new folder. Any thoughts...?

Thanks

Gilberto

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Backup to my external disk before upgrading

New Here ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Thanks to the Coronavirus crisis I've been able to take time to work with my thousands of photos on my computer. I have Lightroom 4 but want to upgrade. Here is my problem: Following the instructions of how to do the photos backup in my external hard disk there is an instruction that says to go to add a New Folder. When I select my external disk to backup, the option " New folder" is not highlighted and cannot create the new folder. Any thoughts...?

Thanks

Gilberto

Topics

Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 11, 2020 0
dj_paige LATEST
LEGEND ,
May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know what instructions you are following, but there really is no need to add a new folder. Using your operating system, make a copy of the entire folder hierarchy on the external hard disk. The best case is if all your photos are stored under a single master folder, then (in your operating system) drag that folder to the external hard disk.

Also, you can't make backups of your photos using Lightroom (except at import). Backups of photos have to be done using your operating system or third-party software. Lightroom does make catalog backups, which you should be doing regularly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 11, 2020 1