Highlighted

backup

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, I have multiple lightroom backups stored on my computer and it has now filled my available space, Do I need to keep all these backups or can I delete all but the most recent? 

thank you

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

backup

New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, I have multiple lightroom backups stored on my computer and it has now filled my available space, Do I need to keep all these backups or can I delete all but the most recent? 

thank you

Topics

Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course you can delete the older backups. Keep one or two just in case you find you did something wrong some time ago and never noticed.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - Great question! The good news is no! Best practices say  keep a handful and not more. Think of it this way... When you need a backup to restore from you will generally want the most current  backup because it will reflect your most recent work. Also you don't have to backup every time - especially if you haven't made a  lot of changes in your catalog file. And  trusting that  you know that Lightroom isn't  backing up your photos... only your catalog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that you have your LR set to backup every time it closes - and if you allow it to do this, you will soon accumulate a large number of old copies of your Catalog. I agree with another poster that the most useful backup to keep around will normally be the very latest, since that can retrieve the maximum work should something catastrophic happen.

Sometimes a Catalog gets subtly corrupted or else simply some unintended edits occur, and this is not discovered straight away. So it's a good 'backstop' to retain at least one non-recent backup as well. If your recent backups turn out to all share these same problems, you then have got another option to call on, which probably will not. And you can at least seek to reinstate more recent editing, from a sound foundation.

If you have had "Automatically Save Changes to XMP" turned on while you worked, there is then the possibility of retrieving some of that work even if carried out subsequent to whichever backup you wind up using. For images which were already imported when that backup was made, you can load in subsequent editing of those using Read Metadata from File. For images which were not imported at that time, those files when imported again will show their latest prior editing. This works only for master copies not Virtual Copies, and only reflects those sorts of metadata which can be written out to XMP on the file (so Develop adjustments, Snapshots, keywording etc yes; Collection membership and such no). This is not a substitute for making Catalog backups, but sometimes a useful supplement.

It is worth pointing out too that a backup which is saved onto the same storage drive as the working Catalog is, can therefore be of no protection if this whole storage drive becomes unreadable / fire damaged / stolen / whatever. Conventional file backup of all your images, regularly refreshed / cycled, into a physically separated system is always a good idea and this can advantageously include your working presets etc, your Catalog and a selection of Catalog backups. It does not need to include LR cached previews / smart previews since those are easily recreated.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines