• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch-Find new File-TYPE (same file-name) ? (in Lightroom)

Explorer ,
May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry  title sounds confusing but I think it's correct description of my problem.

How did it all come about ?

I had to UNITE some 2200 photos (slide-scanns, archives) from all sorts of origines and types (and edit them,)

and sort them (temporarily assign them to collections with the intention to help rename files etc. -regarding various criteria-  at the very end of all processes.

Among those mix of 2200 photos is a batch of 350 JPEGs that had to be included temporarily(!) in order to not wait for days for the original DNG's to be accessible again (from another LR-Workstation), so we could go ahead with the complicated sorting (took many days).

These JPEGS are (high-res Exports) actually from already finsished-edited DNG's from a previously started process on another workstation, and thus are represented the futur, original DNG- with actually the same name).

My understanding was that now that I finally have the original DNG, I can integrate them to replace the JPEGS.

So amongst the mix of 2200 photos;

I gathered the 350 jpegs into a sub-folder,

told LR about the new location; and that worked fine

(showed LR where ONE new location is but also and ticked athe box for LR to aply same learning to all other "missing" jpeg-location).

Now I pasted next to that Sub-folder the new folder with the 350 DNG's (files with same name exept extention).

Then I renamed the "jpeg-folder" in order for LR to again not find them anymore, and directed now to new folder and file-type (of same image).

LR does warn that the photo is named differently (not highlighting that only the extention is different) and asks if I want to go ahead, to witch I say yes.

That works fine, except that first the photos appear un-edited. As soon as I instruct LR to load the meta-data from the file; the image than looks exactly as the JPEG did (that's logic since the JPEG was an export..), so as I expected. This way this image is present correcty in the different collections it had been assigned to among other Raws/DNGs.

BUT; It looks like I am expected to do that manually for each 350 jpeg that "now are" DNGs.

How could I have LR understand to batch-act just as it does batch with the simple new-location-finding, now also with the only-extension-change

(never mind the "load the meta-data from the file") ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2017 May 29, 2017

Please- Try this (un-proven) method with ONE photo before committing to the 350 photos.

You will be converting the JPGs (in the Lr catalog) to a DNG , then replacing them with the original DNG files with the same filename.

• In Lightroom, select the 350 jpg photos
  • Menu > Library > Convert to DNG.  ( You will have to remove a check from "only Convert  raw files")
  • Click [OK]
  • Close Lightroom
  • Use Finder/Explorer to REPLACE the 350 files that Lightroom has in its catalog (now called xxx.DNG) with the 'Orig

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom was not designed to expect the extension change, and so I think you will have to do this manually one-by-one.

The "Read Metadata from Files" command can be done batch, by selecting all of the photos, and then issuing the "Read Metadata from Files" command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Illusion. Did not do the trick. :  "I just tried one solution that works "individually"  and should work in batch mode - I'll report back on that in an houer or so 🙂

( The new Folder with the DNG-Files : Rename their extention to .jpg  - "wrongly",  as to trick LR into thinking it's ok to have fond the new location, and it batch re-links (to correct-files that have incorrect-extention. Than batch rename extention back to dng !

It works individually. Now I have to find a freeware that allows me to batch-rename (I had one once that allows this - outside of LR, in explorer). )" )

At least that way, re-assign the image remains matter of within the same folder.

that will thoreticall take me 80minutes, lets say two hoers of click-click-cklick - "because "LR was not designed to" allow to batch-find wrong extentions..

?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please- Try this (un-proven) method with ONE photo before committing to the 350 photos.

You will be converting the JPGs (in the Lr catalog) to a DNG , then replacing them with the original DNG files with the same filename.

• In Lightroom, select the 350 jpg photos
  • Menu > Library > Convert to DNG.  ( You will have to remove a check from "only Convert  raw files")
  • Click [OK]
  • Close Lightroom
  • Use Finder/Explorer to REPLACE the 350 files that Lightroom has in its catalog (now called xxx.DNG) with the 'Original' DNG files.
  • Re-start Lightroom.
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You very Much !!

I had already gone troughit manually a full third but did all again Your way 🙂

Thanks again !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines