• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Before and After pictures are not identical at starting point.

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I start developing a photo the right ("after") picture is already different than the left ("before") picture. I use Adobe Lightroom Classic CC. They should be identical before I have done anything. What seems to be the problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Changing the monitor profile is quick and easy, it will either be the cause of the problem, or we can rule it out.

There's a possibility that Lightroom 5 and 6 react differently to a defective profile.

Also the film strip shows the same Before pics all the time.

Do you mean that the image in the filmstrip doesn't change when you edit the image?

And have you tried a computer restart? If you leave your computer on for days, it can cause all sorts of problems.

Also, please tell us your operating system

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have an import develop preset being applied, default camera settings being applied, or auto tone being applied on import.  See this thread for how to reset them: Lightroom "Auto" Develop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I followed the link and I checked my preferences - in presets tab. None is checked and I also clicked reset all. Also there is no Auto Tone to be checked (I opened lightroom 5.7, there is auto tone to be checked if so desires). Also I checked on Import page the Quick Develop menu and there are no presets selected at all.

It seems to me that although there no presets CLASSIC CC performs auto tone without asking permission. I don't know what else to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more troubleshooting steps:

1. Verify that if fact some Develop sliders are changed immediately after importing a pic.  E.g. is Exposure or another slider not at 0?  Open all the develop panels to verify.  If the sliders are all 0, the issue is not with some develop settings being applied automatically.

2. Try resetting LR's preferences: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I checked on Import page the Quick Develop menu and there are no presets selected at all.

It's not clear from this that you've checked the Import window for an import develop preset, as described in the linked thread. This is not the Quick Develop menu.  So an additional troubleshooting step:

1B: In the Import window, look in the upper-right corner and make sure Apply During Import > Develop Settings is set to None:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be caused by a defective monitor profile.

As troubleshooting, and as a possible temporary fix, try setting the profile to sRGB (Adobe RGB if you have a wide gamut monitor).

See http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-change-my-monitor-profile-to-check-whether-its-...

If this fixes the problem, you should calibrate your monitor with a hardware calibrator, which will create a custom profile that accurately describes your monitor.

See also before and after shows white balance difference even when photo is not edited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This could be caused by a defective monitor profile.

Right, that's a strong possibility if troubleshooting step 1 above shows all the Develop sliders at 0.  If some sliders are not at 0, then a defective profile is not the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again.

I want to emphasis that with Lightroom 5.7.1 my before and after problem does not exist. It appeared when I bought Lightroom 6.1 and remained there when I tried CC for less than 7 days.

I did check the the sliders immediately after importing in develop mode and all the sliders are at zero. Also I checked the import page and I found that "apply during import" has all the values are set to none.

I am almost sure that that the white point is set by the application while importing the pics but as I mentioned before tint and temperature sliders are at zero when I start developping.

Thank you for your kindness. I will solve the problem in the mean time by working with version 5.7.1 or in some cases I will accept the automatic withe point as set by the application and continue from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m taking a guess at something here. Is it possible that the images were originally imported with an older process version using Lr5? When you are using Lightroom 6.1 it switches to a newer process version which displays differently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I use process 2012 on both LR5.7 and LR6.1.

I wonder, am I the only one with this problem or no one pays attention that a the very beginning of the developing the "before" photo is not identical to the "after."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try changing the monitor profile like I suggested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not. On the same monitor Lightroom 5.7 works and Lightroom 6.1 doesn't. Before and After are two pics, side by side, on probably more than half screen. Also the film strip shows the same Before pics all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the monitor profile is quick and easy, it will either be the cause of the problem, or we can rule it out.

There's a possibility that Lightroom 5 and 6 react differently to a defective profile.

Also the film strip shows the same Before pics all the time.

Do you mean that the image in the filmstrip doesn't change when you edit the image?

And have you tried a computer restart? If you leave your computer on for days, it can cause all sorts of problems.

Also, please tell us your operating system and version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a similar situation in which Per's suggestion of resetting the display profile corrected the problem: Re: In Lightroom develop window the original and after pics are different even before processing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did change my monitor profile by following Per's link and John’s strong advice to follow. That did the trick. Didn't seem to make sense to me as the before photo was fine but it worked. Thank you Per and Thank you John.

You might be surprised but I will try to work on my pictures not only with the sRGB that you advised me but also with my previous Philips 288P6 profile. Although I complained about before and after not being identical it seems to me that Philips profile has a better representation at the beginning of the developing thus saving me working time. I will compare the two  after acquiring some experience.

Thank you again Per and John.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're using the profile from the display manufacturer. LR has long had issues with some of these -- some say it's because the profiles don't conform to industry standards, some say because of limitations in LR, though I haven't seen authoritative analysis either way.

Regardless, you might consider investing in a display calibrator such as a Datacolor Spyder or X-Rite i1. The manufacturer-supplied profiles are based on averages of the given display, not particular to that piece of hardware, which may vary from the averages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again. I will consider your advise but it will take some time. I will let you know. Thank you for all you did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be surprised but I will try to work on my pictures not only with the sRGB that you advised me but also with my previous Philips 288P6 profile. Although I complained about before and after not being identical it seems to me that Philips profile has a better representation at the beginning of the developing thus saving me working time. I will compare the two  after acquiring some experience.

You can't pick and choose a profile that makes editing easier for you, it defeats the purpose of color management, you will be deceiving yourself, and you will not be seeing correct colors on screen.

The purpose of the monitor profile is to describe the characteristics of your monitor as closely as possible.

The profile that best serves this purpose is one made by calibrating with a hardware calibrator.

The Philips profile is obviously defective, and you should stop using it immediately - until you get a hardware calibrator, use sRGB instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.K. I will try to acquire a device for color calibration. It will take some time and I will let you know. Thank you for your kindness and for everything.

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally I acquired Spider 5 Pro and I managed to calibrate my laptop screen and my external monitor and everything is perfect. I want to thank Per Bertsen and John Rellis for their professional advise and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have some presets applied in import, but i could be wrong.

If you go to import, and look under "apply during import" do you show any presets?

I would think this wouldnt be the case, since the applied presets should show in the "before", but maybe check that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines