• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best solution for file management

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to phography and to Lightroom.  I have the Creative Cloud Desktop so I have Lightroom & Classic, Photoshop and Bridge.  I feel like I'm not sure of what the best way to manage all these images.

I have looked online for different resources of how best to manage.  

I have setup my directory structure by Year\Month\Day and now I want to start working on them in Photoshop or Lightroom but do both see the same catalogues? Should I use Bridge to manage the files

Any direction would be appreciated - tutorials, books, lessons, experience

Thanks

Stephen

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

There is no "best" way, there are many different approaches, some of which may work for you. Here's how I do it: all photos are imported into Lightroom Classic (Yes, all, as in 100%, no exceptions), assigned keywords and other metadata as needed (captions, titles, GPS locations, etc.) All searching for photos is done in Lightroom Classic via keywords and other metadata. I do not have to remember what folder I put the photos in or what date they were taken, and in fact, I don't try to remember wh

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no "best" way, there are many different approaches, some of which may work for you. Here's how I do it: all photos are imported into Lightroom Classic (Yes, all, as in 100%, no exceptions), assigned keywords and other metadata as needed (captions, titles, GPS locations, etc.) All searching for photos is done in Lightroom Classic via keywords and other metadata. I do not have to remember what folder I put the photos in or what date they were taken, and in fact, I don't try to remember what folder the photo is in or what date it was taken (which is a good thing, because I have over 30,000 photos in Lightroom and no one can remember the date 30,000 photos were taken). Using the calendar date folder structure also makes sense as it is the Lightroom Classic default, it takes zero effort on your part to create folders by capture date.

There is no catalog for Photoshop. If you import the photos into Lightroom Classic, and want to do some editing of the photo in Photoshop, this is easy using Lightroom Classic, a built in function. (of course, you can open the photos directly in Photoshop without using Lightroom Classic, but I don't do it that way)

Tutorials: go to lightroomqueen.com, download the free beginners e-book for Lightroom Classic. Since Lightroom Classic works differently than some people think it should, starting with these tutorials is a very good idea.

I don't use Bridge. Since I organize in Lightroom Classic, Bridge adds no additional value. In fact, there's a lot more in Lightroom Classic in Bridge, so I would recommend you start with Lightroom Classic and skip Bridge entirely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines