• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best way to move images

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic on a Mac. Hard drive is filling up so a new external has been bought. In the past I have always moved images from within LR but I thing the current thinking is to move the image folder to the new drive and then point lightroom to the new location? Am I correct with this procedure?

Bob

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

I agree, that is the way I would do it. The instructions are in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Please make backups of your catalog file and all of your photos before you begin this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, that is the way I would do it. The instructions are in "Part 2 — Updating Folder Location" of this document: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Please make backups of your catalog file and all of your photos before you begin this process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Heirloombob,

DJ_Paige's suggestion is a good one, I've nothing to add to that specifcially.

The idea of moving your images to an external HD is excellent, giving your current hard drive some space will reap many benefits.

However, I do have advise for the future. It all boils down to the adage: "There are two kinds of hard drive users. Those who've had a hard drive crash and those who've not had a hard drive crash YET."

Over the years I've had several hard drives crash and yes I've lost stuff. Here's what I now do:

–I have a 4 TB drive that holds all of my images and many documents.

–I have a 2nd 4TB drive that I use to back up my first drive. I manually do this at least once a week or more often if I've done a lot of work.

–I have a 3rd 4TB drive I use for Apple's Time Machine.

–I also use a cloud service incase the house burns down. Am I paranoid? No, just a realist. In a worst case scenario, I would not lose much, at worse some time. 

[Note: the 4TB is entirely based on what I need. Your needs may demand more or less hard drive space. Whatever you think you need, double it.]

Meanwhile, good luck, enjoy!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines