• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Big Lag with Adjustment Brush

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey folks, with this most recent update to LR Classic (8.2.1) I am seeing an old nemesis rear its ugly head. The dreaded lag while using the Local Adjustment Brush. It's so bad that I can't use the Local Adjustment Brush, it locks up LR. I'm on a 2015 Apple iMac with 2TB of storage, 24GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB of VRAM. I edit BIG files - 16384 X 12288. Prior to the upgrade everything worked great. Here I was hoping to never ever ever see this again...

Is anyone else seeing this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Limit video cache size should be checked. Try 3.0 to start. The comma vs period must be due to the language version you are using. Also I would recommend Unchecking Use Smart Previews instead of Originals when editing as that has reportedly slowed performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying that in LR 8.2.0 you did not have this problem, but in v8.2.1 you now do have it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2019 Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Use GPU on or off in your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here but with Windows (1809). The lag is not as hughe as RamblinLamb describes and LR doesn't crash but it's slow (again). Also switching between files takes longer before the preview is sharp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please answer the questions asked above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My software is updated automatically but I'm pretty shure that it started after I had the notification that LR was updated.

The use of GPU is off because it always worked better this way.

LR Pref perf.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning on GPU processor. Also change the comma in the cache size so that it is 20.0 not 20,0. Restart Lightroom after making these changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But having the GPU on is known to slow down brushing.

Anyway, if none of the suggestions help, you might have to revert to a previous version of Lightroom where it worked well (probably 8.2). Install previous version of your Creative Cloud app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmgap  schreef

Also change the comma in the cache size so that it is 20.0 not 20,0.

LR changes the size itself to 20,0 if you type just 20!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Limit video cache size should be checked. Try 3.0 to start. The comma vs period must be due to the language version you are using. Also I would recommend Unchecking Use Smart Previews instead of Originals when editing as that has reportedly slowed performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 1.07.02 PM.png

My video cache was already set to 3.0. I did purge it.

This wasn't checked, so I checked it. "Use Smart Previews instead of Originals when editing" That has resolved my issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I spoke too soon! The changes I made worked, for awhile, then it came back for no apparent reason. ARGH. I'm now at a loss here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2019 Jun 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im in the same position with the D850 images, super super slow with adjustment brush!?? tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you turn off Use GPU in preferences?

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/justin+pt83894960  wrote

Im in the same position with the D850 images, super super slow with adjustment brush!?? tried everything.

My answers in your thread from a few months ago are still valid.

Lightroom 8.1 super slow with Large images from Nikon D850 on super fast iMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just move to capture one like all the pros do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a screen shot of your Preferences > Performance tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So one issue is your 5K display (based on rig described).

Trying to remember all the tweaks to attempt to improve performance on MAC 4/5K displays

In Develop module, select 1:1 or smaller, 1:2, 1:3 (smaller view) to cut down on pixels in LR windows showing the image.

In Develop, make side, top, and bottom panels as large as possible, decreasing area available for the LR window showing the image.

In Develop, force use of Smart Previews (ahh, you are doing that)

Clear History panel?

use a smaller (resolution ) monitor

And for a Windows OS, just reduce the resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, although this issue has decreased in validity, even though you have that Camera RAW CACHE limit set higher than default, consider increasing it as an experiment, try 40 maybe more

Oh, and consider purging it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inquiry, does this lag start early on in editing, or later on after many many other edits? Now Adobe reccomend adjustment brushes, and spot removal, later on. But I am curious if in your case this is an incremental thing.

Edit another image, start out with the adjustment brush, nothing else. Lag?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem with Win 10, I don't have a 8K monitor. I have plenty of video Cache. In fact I just bought a new Gforce GTX video card from the LR recommended list with 6GB of Memory to see if that would help. It did not. The slow down starts as soon as I use a adjustment brush and only gets worse with each incremental use on the same photo. After using about 3 instances of different adjustment brushes. The screen goes black on an attempted redraw of the screen and never comes back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And along with my just previous off the wall inquiry. What if you create a brand new catalog. Import just one image. Edit it, starting with a brush. LAG?

Thoughta are, is something clobbering your catalog, perhaps in how complex or numerous your edits are, or is something very broken on your rig.

Or in your catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2019 Sep 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont think it has anything to do with the catalog because every picture in the catalog is fine as long as you don't go to one that has multiple adjustment brushes used on it. I have tried this with multiple photos in multiple catalogs and the result is the same. Very repeatable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mate, 

Did you ever have any luck with this problem. I have it all the time and it drives me crazy. And my rig is a top of the line imac pro with all the gear. I feel like I've tried everything to get it running smoothly but no luck. 

Cheers, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines