Highlighted

black and white export profile

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm using Lightroom 4.4 on an older Mac and I'm imporing scans with a BW dot gain 20% profile. I work on them in Lightroom and then export. The only export profiles I have are all colour. This trebles the file size unecessarily and then in photoshop I convert back to dot gain 20% which wastes time.

Question: is there a way of adding another profile ie dot gain 20% into the export options in Lightroom ?

This would be a big help

Thanks

Steve

Topics

Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

black and white export profile

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm using Lightroom 4.4 on an older Mac and I'm imporing scans with a BW dot gain 20% profile. I work on them in Lightroom and then export. The only export profiles I have are all colour. This trebles the file size unecessarily and then in photoshop I convert back to dot gain 20% which wastes time.

Question: is there a way of adding another profile ie dot gain 20% into the export options in Lightroom ?

This would be a big help

Thanks

Steve

Topics

Presets or profiles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom can only export in RGB, and there is no way to add profiles.

If you are exporting jpgs, there shouldn't be any increase in file size, since all three channels will be identical.

If you are exporting tiffs, use compression, and there won't be a huge difference in file size when you convert to grayscale.

Exporting tiffs without compression will lead to RGB file size being three times larger than grayscale.

I work a lot with BW scans in LR myself, and I did a test exporting a 5953 x 4642 grayscale file, and then converting the exported RGB file to grayscale in Photoshop.

8-bit tiff with LZW compression: 

RGB 21.1 MB, Grayscale 13.9 MB

16-bit tiff with ZIP compression: 

RGB 69.2 MB, Grayscale 45.8 MB

Note that LZW compression works best with 8-bit files, and ZIP compression works best with 16-bit.

Using LZW compression with a  16-bit file can increase the file size.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines