• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black and white point clipping in develop vs Library window

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noticed this with the latest v10 that there is a slight difference when switching between images in Library and Develop windows. 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually a sign of a defective monitor profile.

This is what calibrators are for, but if you don't have one, replace your current profile with sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (if wide gamut use Adobe RGB). It won't be accurate, but better than a broken profile.

Displayprofile_20_3.png

If that doesn't help, disable GPU in preferences. This is actually another side to the same coin. At default settings, the actual conversion into the monitor profile is executed in the GPU. With a buggy driver, that conversion may fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a calibrated (X-rite DUCS) Dell monitor  and when I set the system default as suggested the problem goes away but it's not exactly a fix. Will this bug be fixed t in a future release or is it the responsibility of the calibration software developers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"when I set the system default as suggested the problem goes away but it's not exactly a fix."

It wasn't intended to be a fix - it's diagnostic. It confirms the monitor profile is defective. You need to rerun the calibration/profiling, and double check all parameters in the software. Nothing can be done in Lightroom to correct a bad profile.

One thing to look out for is the profile policies. Set the software to produce version 2 and matrix-based profiles - not version 4 and/or LUT-based (table-based). Both the latter can sometimes be problematic in some configurations.

That said, you also need to compare at 1:1. Zoomed out, different screen resampling algorithms can cause small differences with noisy images, starry skies etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help and I'll now recalibrate with v2 +matrix and report back ( and yes I'm viewing at 1:1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

v2 and matrix gives the same result. Will try a different calibration solution ( DisplayCal)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Differences between the two modules are are expected. The reason being, Library is based on a compressed JPEG preview whereas Develop uses a rendered version of the original raw file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't make any difference between preview jpeg and raw in a properly color managed app like LR. Anyway I'm seeing this on processed Tiff's and jpegs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I forgot to mention earlier that when I open the image in PS it matches the Library display so it's an issue with the develop display rendering. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines