Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blend brush

Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've created a HDR composite in LR, it is a room and I want to bring more detail through of what's outside through the windows.  I spent time yesterday using the Adjustment Brush to simply mark out (paint over) the windows, with the intention today of making my subtle choices of altering exposure, saturation, etc..  But starting up today and not only can I not make any edits, but the edit function is not clickable.  Help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen shot of what you are seeing.

In LR Classic there is an Adjustment Brush. It is not called a Blend Brush. Not sure what you mean by Blend Brush.

If you place an adjustment point on and image, whether you make any adjustments to that image, the POINT remains when the Adjustment brush is activated again on that image.

2019-11-17 12_20_41-LR Classic V9 Catalog - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.png

Also check the option for "Show Edit Pins" on the bottom left of the screen. Set it to Always or Auto. In Auto mode the cursor has to be over the image for the pins to show and the Adjustment brush feature active.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am new to this - I meant Adjustment Brush.  I'm not quite sure of the other points that you're making, so here's the screen shot - the white parts are what i had previously created with the brush, there is detail undertneath, whgich I am looking to work on in my next session. 1.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right you have One Pin showing in the upper left hand corner (in the left hand window that is only partially visible) and the Exposure set to + 2.78. that will not Bring OUT the background in those windows, it will Blow that out.

2019-11-17 12_55_54-2000 (1920×1036).png

To make that pin/point active place the cursor on it and Click it. The center will turn black

Also at the bottom of the screen there is a check box to "Show selected Mask Overlay". Which can be toggled with the o key (OH not zero key). I suggest you use that to SEE where you are brushing.

you can toggle it on and off to see exactly where your brush strocks are being placed. Also play around with the Size (now set at 8 which is small) and the Feather (Now set at 78 which is a large feather of the brush strocks) and the Flow.

If you want to bring out what looks like White painted brick behind those windows you will need to se the Exposure to a Negative amount along with the Highlights and maybe the Whites.

But if those areas are actually Blown Out, over exposed, there isn't much you can do to bring them back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.JPGThank you.  I've just had a brief read of what you've said, as will need to digest fully a bit later.  So I managed to get to the edit function and reduce the exposure - just a rough attempt so as to show you what's what (see attached).  I'll make subtle alterations v.v.soon, though for now want to ask you two immediate questions.  One, there are a few white 'scratches' in the window, presumably where the Brush strokes and/or Flow didn't complete the task; how to go over once again?  Two, each window frame (where I will ultimately be attempting to blend two exposures into one seamless effort) has a harshness to the edge of the brush, and if I move the feather tool now nothing seems to make a difference; how should this be redone/approached in future, as it currently looks a hard-edged mess?  Thank you, DC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harshness of edges is Feather set to low.

To go over the white spot just Activate that Pin/Point again abd Brusk over them. If that doesn't work then you can Set a New Pin/Point and brush over them.

For interior shot like this when Bright outside you really need to use interior Lighting, like flashes (Multiple flashes) and faster shutter speeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  Ok, I may have anything from 100+ brush strokes as I built up this ultimately 1 mask, and like a painter & decorator I cut into the windows with a small brush before using a bigger brush to fill in the inners.  But, say, a particular window's cut-in is in the history "Add Brush Stroke" list at no.83, and I'm looking at this edge, as per against the window edge in the photograph, and it requires softening, then how do I feather this particular stroke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you brush over an area you can't rebrush that area using the same adjustment point. To make one area darker/lighter/whatever you have set another, an Additional, adjustment point  but Rebrushing the same area with the same adjustment brush doesn't do anything.

You have to click New in the upper right hand corner of the Adjustment brush section and set a new point. Then brush/paint over the same area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant, thank you - getting the hang of this (had to restart, though doing a better job).  Just to refresh: what do the pins mean?  And what does one, two, three, etc., of them mean?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pin is in reference to the point you place when first clicking.

2019-11-17 12_55_54-2000 (1920×1036).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Supermandan1

"anything from 100+ brush strokes"

With some more learning and knowledge you should be able to get the window details from the HDR without all your multiple Brush selections! In fact ONE Brush stroke.

Two methods-

With a very very large Brush,Turn on 'Auto Mask',  [Keyboard shortcut = A ]

With a Brush larger than all the window panels- ONE click on a white window pane will select ALL and ONLY the 'white' window panes. Adjust the 'Exposure' slider.

With a very very large Brush, paint over all the window panes,

Then turn "Range Mask" on by selecting the [Luminance] option,

Set the 'Range' sliders to only affect the very bright areas of the windows,

Adjust the 'Exposure' slider.

With both methods it is helpful to have the overlay visible [O] to preview where the Brush will adjust, and remember- hold [Alt] will set the Brush to 'Erase'.

"Luminance" masking  - one brush stroke- 

ScreenShot142.jpg ScreenShot140.jpgScreenShot141.jpg

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines