• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book module Auto Layout automatic photo rotate?

Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a Blurb book in LrC.  I have made many books in the past using LrC and Blurb, but I can't figure out how to do something a bit different this time.  I would like Auto Layout to automatically rotate photos in order to maximize the use of the page.  In other words, a vertical/portrait photo would automatically be rotated to horizontal/landscape when put in a landscape book.  Or a horizontal/landscape photo would automatically be rotated to vertical/portrait when put in a portrait book.

I realize that I can go through all the photos prior to making the book and manually rotate photos, but that is not what I want.  Is there a way for the Auto Layout function do it automatically ONLY when it inserts them in the book.  I don't want the actual photos in my catalog to be rotated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. But it is a good idea to suggest at the Feedback forum! Photoshop Lightroom Family 

My work-around would be-

1) Select Photos for the Book

2) Create a Standard Collection with [Make new Virtual Copies]

3) In the Collection- Select all (or specific photos) - Rotate the Virtual Copies.

4) Use these VCs for the Book.

This will not rotate the 'Master' previews.

The only 'downside' is that you now have two previews in the Library (Master & Virtual Copy). No drive space is used by VCs- they only exist in the Catalog.

The advantages are that you can also Develop and Crop the VCs specifically to suit Book printing.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. That is what I figured I would have to do. I love virtual copies and use them a lot. In this case to make more virtual copies just so I can rotate some of them for a book is far from ideal. For this particular book all the photos are B&W. What I typically do for B&W is shoot in raw and then if I want a B&W photo I make a virtual copy. The original raw is left in color and the virtual copy is B&W. So now all the photos for the book will be the original, the B&W virtual copy, and yet another virtual copy for the rotated photos. At the moment that seems like what I must do though. Actually, I have several more books planned out and they will all have the same or similar issues. It is going to mean hundreds and hundreds (maybe over a thousand) of additional virtual copies just for the rotation. 😞

Typically when I make a virtual copy for B&W or for any other reason, I first try to work on the original doing the stuff that I want in all virtual copies. Usually that is stuff such as cropping, rotation, fixing dust spots, using the adjustment brush, graduated filter, sharpening, noise reduction, etc. Then I make the virtual copy and if it is to be turned into B&W I start working on that. Naturally, what often happens, maybe not long after I finish or sometimes weeks, months, or years later I see something I missed or want to change to both copies such as using an adjustment brush. That means I have to make the same changes to the original and the virtual copy. I have not found a way to sync up just the changes I want in both, but maybe there is a way. Having 3 virtual copies makes all that even more difficult. Of course, I don't want all them to be automatically synced for those sorts of things with no control because sometimes I want to have different crops, etc.

When I click on Create Saved Book one of the options is Make new virtual copies. I have never used this option. I suppose the virtual copies it creates are just the same as the normal virtual copies that I can create manually and they will appear alongside the other copies and the original in the catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I tried to do as you suggested and put in a feature request at: https://feedback.photoshop.com/

Strangely, it will not allow me to log in.  It gives an error saying I do not have an id even though I tried to log in.  And yet I am logged in here posting this message. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Feedback' Log in- yes strange!

Try a different web browser, or allow cookies.

EDIT:  I just tried my bookmarked link and got a "go home' message!! So I guess the site is down at the moment! Try again later.

ScreenShot060.jpg

I see your concerns with multiple VCs being visible. Stacking is one work-around, and you can set the topmost image (from the Master or VCs) that will show in Grid view.

The Adjustment Brush and Spot Removal Tool can be applied to multiple VCs & the Master all at the same time with Auto Sync turned on. (I just tested with two VCs, cropped differently, Brush & Spot Tool adjustments were applied correctly to both VCs. Copy&Paste also worked.). I have not investigated the limitations 🙂

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.  I guess I will have to make hundreds of virtual copies just to do the rotate for the Blurb book.  I finally was able to submit a feature suggestion on the other forum.  Maybe someday LrC will have that option.

I will investigate about the Auto Sync thing you mentioned.  I have never used that or even knew it existed even after 9 years of using LR. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: AutoSync-

A decent video tutorial is to be found at this link. The 'AutoSync' advice (for brush & gradients, etc) starts about 3.50 in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9XpQ2YVV6w

The [AutoSync] used with the Spotting Brush is always useful for removing sensor dust spots from multiple images (except where spots appear on faces 🙂 )

REMEMBER- to always TURN AUTOSYNC OFF after its use to prevent major adjustment problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!  That video was clear.  I learned something new. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines