Highlighted

Book Module: How do I get automatic captions on each page?

New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exploring the book module, mostly to create PDFs. Simply put, I want to get captions and photos added automatically to the pages when I have a group of photos selected and I hit the "Auto Layout" button on the right, with a preset selected.

Maybe I'm approaching my book template wrong because of my process in print module. I tend to print with a custom template that uses a custom text preset (caption + location + country + date) to auto-generate the caption. I can't seem to find a way to do this in the photo module.

When I create a custom template (by selecting that auto layout dropdown), I get the layout preset I want, but the photo text dropdown has a limited number of choices (title or caption). Even if I choose caption, then autocreate a book on this preset, the pages come up with placeholder text "photo text" in the captions, instead of the photo captions that already exist in the files. I can autofill these all from metadate one-by-one by clicking the page, then clicking the text box, then selecting my preset from the dropdown in the photo text dialogue, but that's a lot of work for something that should be completely automated. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, or if my expectations are just wrong.

TOPICS
How to, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Book Module: How do I get automatic captions on each page?

New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exploring the book module, mostly to create PDFs. Simply put, I want to get captions and photos added automatically to the pages when I have a group of photos selected and I hit the "Auto Layout" button on the right, with a preset selected.

Maybe I'm approaching my book template wrong because of my process in print module. I tend to print with a custom template that uses a custom text preset (caption + location + country + date) to auto-generate the caption. I can't seem to find a way to do this in the photo module.

When I create a custom template (by selecting that auto layout dropdown), I get the layout preset I want, but the photo text dropdown has a limited number of choices (title or caption). Even if I choose caption, then autocreate a book on this preset, the pages come up with placeholder text "photo text" in the captions, instead of the photo captions that already exist in the files. I can autofill these all from metadate one-by-one by clicking the page, then clicking the text box, then selecting my preset from the dropdown in the photo text dialogue, but that's a lot of work for something that should be completely automated. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, or if my expectations are just wrong.

TOPICS
How to, Presets or profiles, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 14, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess one way to approach this (for simple books that you want to PDF) is to just have your selected set of images, and use a template in the print module (where custom caption templates work very well) and just select all the images and print to PDF. You get nothing but a pile of pages with the images, but if that's what you're after, it works just fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video that explains how to add specific metadata fields and custom text to accomplish your objective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNnr2kYrZUo

FREE Course! Click: https://www.teachucomp.com/freeLearn about Adding Text Overlays to a Slideshow in Lightroom Classic CC at www.teachUcomp.com. A clip from...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0
WobertC LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting this up at first can seem a trial, but once you have defined the Presets/Templates then it becomes simpler.

You need-

1)  A Custom 'Photo Text' Preset

Click the Drop-down menu and - 'Edit' adding the information you want below the photos-

ScreenShot180.jpgScreenShot182.jpg

2) A Custom Page Template

After setting one page with a photo and the Custom Photo Text- [Right-Click] the page and "Save as Custom Page".  (Unfortunately you cannot give names to Custom pages)

3) An 'Auto Layout' Preset-  that uses your Custom Page Template.

Click on the Auto Layout Dropdown menu to 'Edit Auto Layout Preset' and choose the Custom Page-

ScreenShot187.jpg

Check the box for [Add Photo Text],

**Now (IMPORTANT) Click the top Preset box for the drop-down menu and [Save Current Settings as a new Preset]

You now have a complete Layout Preset with the Page design & Text that you can use to 'Auto Layout' your book.

Even better- if you always want this same Layout- set the Preset once in the Auto-Layout panel (it becomes the 'sticky' default until changed), and set your Book Preferences to 'Autofill'. 

ScreenShot188.jpg

Now you can select a folder/collection of photos- Click the 'Book' module menu- Done! a complete book with your Custom layout of photos and Photo Text.  That's ONE CLICK OF THE MOUSE!!!

ScreenShot189.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0.1, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 14, 2020 0