Highlighted

Book module slows down computer

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've created an image heavy book in Lightroom, with appr 600 images.

I'm using a 3-month old laptop on windows 10, equiped with i5 core and 8GB RAM. Sufficient to say I never experienced any slowing down util now, even in development module.

In the last few days, I encountered a very troubling problem :

- I start the computer, then Lightroom and access the book. I work normally

- After appr 5-15 mn computer starts to become very very slow, each action taking a few seconds to complete

- in particular, the following actions are very slow : right click, changing any parameter. Also, windows as a whole became sluggish (easy test : I try to select shortcuts on the desktop, it takes a lot of time).

- Windows task manager shows nothing : no CPU or RAM use, nothing !

- I shutdown the computer, restart, everything works fine for 5-15 mn and then it starts again.

- I have no such problem if I do anything else than start lightroom and open this particular book.

Obviously, it's impossible to work like that.

Has anybody ever encountered a similar problem ? Any advice, solution ?

Thx,

Romain

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Book module slows down computer

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've created an image heavy book in Lightroom, with appr 600 images.

I'm using a 3-month old laptop on windows 10, equiped with i5 core and 8GB RAM. Sufficient to say I never experienced any slowing down util now, even in development module.

In the last few days, I encountered a very troubling problem :

- I start the computer, then Lightroom and access the book. I work normally

- After appr 5-15 mn computer starts to become very very slow, each action taking a few seconds to complete

- in particular, the following actions are very slow : right click, changing any parameter. Also, windows as a whole became sluggish (easy test : I try to select shortcuts on the desktop, it takes a lot of time).

- Windows task manager shows nothing : no CPU or RAM use, nothing !

- I shutdown the computer, restart, everything works fine for 5-15 mn and then it starts again.

- I have no such problem if I do anything else than start lightroom and open this particular book.

Obviously, it's impossible to work like that.

Has anybody ever encountered a similar problem ? Any advice, solution ?

Thx,

Romain

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 20, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version NUMBER of Lightroom are you using?

Windows task manager shows nothing : no CPU or RAM use, nothing !

What about disk usage at this time? Is there heavy disk usage?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2016 0
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version NUMBER of Lightroom are you using?

Version The latest (I think 6.8, updated very recently)

What about disk usage at this time? Is there heavy disk usage?

None, absolutely nothing. The computer seems totally ok. No virus of malware found. Shutting down internet access does not help. Neither does shutting down all backgroudn programs/services. I never encountered such a thing.

(sorry I couldn't find the quote option in the editor).

Romain

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2016 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I think the activity monitors are wrong, because clearly something is going on.

My only guess is that the task is too resource intensive for your computer, which seems a little underpowered for this task.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 20, 2016 0
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey

I have the exact same problem since a few weeks back. It is definitely not a question of underpowered hardware - I have previously used the exact same computer for the same thing with no difficulty. I did not make any changes to the computer during that time - no software was changed, other than the usual windows updates.

Even after upgrading from LR6.x to the latest 6.8, the problem remains.

Can't seem to find any solutions anywhere...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2016 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try updating your graphics drivers as outlined here:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

You can determine the graphics adaptor model here:

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 28, 2016 0
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for taking the time to suggest remedies. Unfortunately, I've already tried updating the graphics drivers but it did not solve the problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 0
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exactly the same problem.  I am using a PC and this problem is only occurring in the book module of lightroom cc. Even with a small book of less than 20 images I am only able to work for about 10 minutes before the system slows right down and stops for minutes at a time.

Graphics cards are up to date.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same slow down in book mod.  After about 5 or 10 min I have to exit and reboot computer. Other than book mod everything works instantly in LR. I have the latest of everything and raw cache is 50G and on ssd.

Attention ADOBE :  Is there anything you can suggest  on this clearly defined software problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 06, 2017 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1  I did experience exact same problem.  Book module slowed to a halt. The OS also slowed to a halt with no CPU or RAM use.

(at the time CC2015.8 Windows-10)

I totally disabled my nvidia card in Device manager,  un-installed anything related to Nvidia, re-started windows.

Windows-10 took a little time to find a suitable driver for my graphics.

But now I am back to normal Lr working.

I am free of all the Nvidia "Game Ready" garbage that I am sure was responsible for the slowness.

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 19, 2017 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Book module gets unusable slow after a short while. There is no load on my cpu, gpu or hard drive at all. After that everything else in lightroom is unusable too. Only restarting my complete PC helps. Seems to be the same problem you have but on a completely different machine. Even trying with a new book with only a couple of pictures in the collection doens't help and produces the same problem.

I have an ASUS GL502VS with a GTX 1070 running Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had exactly the same problem.  I updated my Nvidia drivers and now all is perfect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2018 0