Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bring Out the Blue Sky and Clouds with a Little Dehaze

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DSC04584-2.jpg

"Chechen Building Climber," Grozny, Chechnya - Sony a7riii, Sony GM 70-200 f2.8 lens.

(f/11.0, 24mm, ISO1250, 1/500sec)

I met Grozny local Rustam through the Couchsurfing app, which I can’t recommend enough. If you don’t know, it connects strangers from different countries. (Not useful during pandemic.) When backpacking, I use this app to find new friends to show me around their city and often to provide me a free couch to sleep on. In return, they enjoy the company and adventure, as well as the practice speaking English with a native. Grozny has experienced decades of violent war. Recently, however, it’s been rebuilt, and currently feels quite safe to me. I enjoyed my week there, and can’t deny that the specter of its recent bloody past enhanced my intrigue.

I told my host what I wanted to see: signs of war. He didn’t disappoint. My Russian level is low, as was his English, so communication was tricky. He either didn’t know what happened to this building or I just didn’t understand his description; pretty sure it was a mix. While you couldn't pay me enough to follow him up those bricks, the area I stood on was also not safe. We hopped a wall and dodged a guard dog to get in there. The whole experience was sketchy but Rustam was welcoming, as were his friends, his wife and newborn.

Original image (SOOC):

DSC04584.jpg

Lighten Dark Areas

·         I tend to always start here, lest it need a crop, which this one doesn't. Raised Shadows (+82), Blacks (+32). Matter of preference, and mine is to show more. HDR would have worked if the subject was still. I never use HDR. Just raise the dark areas a bit and it's fine.

Raise Clarity/Sharpening

·          My guilty pleasure. If I can get away with it, I will. This photo begs for it. Still, too much and it'll come off as fake. My shots must look real or they're no good.

Raise Vibrance, Dehaze

·          Seems pretty obvious why I'd do this: bring out the blue and clouds in the sky. And it worked.

And that's it! Enough processing for this one. Could maybe add a hint of vignette, but not necessary. Looks like one of those "Achieve" posters you have in your office, huh? Oh, don't try this type of adventure. Incredibly dangerous.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
no replies

Have something to add?