Highlighted

BUG: Lightroom CC 9.1 corrupts Sandisk memory Cards when "Eject after Import" is used.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly a bug.  LR CC 9.1 is corrupting the Memory Cards when "Eject After Import" is used.  The card is truly corrupted - the card images are corrupted and not recognized by iMac Finder.  I have tried this many times, and actually thought it was the CAMERA that was at fault, and have sent it back to the manufacturer.  Now I tried on another camera, and it is doing the same thing.  This is getting expensive (up to 8 cards destroyed before I figured it out AND camera mailed for $100 to Olympus!!!). 

Situation:

- iMac Mojave 10.14.6 with Memory Card Slot  

- FAILURE: LR CC Import from any memory card is corrupted when "Eject after Import" is used.  EVERY.SINGLE.TIME!

- SUCCESS: Inserted Memory card; copied images from Mem card using iMac Finder to an iMac folder. 

- Import from iMac folder (NOT from memory card) - Correct import; no corruption of Memory Card or imported files.  

How do you fix this?  

How do you communicate it so it doesn't happen to others?

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

BUG: Lightroom CC 9.1 corrupts Sandisk memory Cards when "Eject after Import" is used.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly a bug.  LR CC 9.1 is corrupting the Memory Cards when "Eject After Import" is used.  The card is truly corrupted - the card images are corrupted and not recognized by iMac Finder.  I have tried this many times, and actually thought it was the CAMERA that was at fault, and have sent it back to the manufacturer.  Now I tried on another camera, and it is doing the same thing.  This is getting expensive (up to 8 cards destroyed before I figured it out AND camera mailed for $100 to Olympus!!!). 

Situation:

- iMac Mojave 10.14.6 with Memory Card Slot  

- FAILURE: LR CC Import from any memory card is corrupted when "Eject after Import" is used.  EVERY.SINGLE.TIME!

- SUCCESS: Inserted Memory card; copied images from Mem card using iMac Finder to an iMac folder. 

- Import from iMac folder (NOT from memory card) - Correct import; no corruption of Memory Card or imported files.  

How do you fix this?  

How do you communicate it so it doesn't happen to others?

TOPICS
Bug, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 03, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Not happen on my iMac from 2011 running OS X 10.13.6 and LR 9.1.

I suggest then you un-check the option to Eject card after import. It is in the import window in the Source, left hand, panel.

But why do you think the cards are getting corrupted?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally figured out why the cards were corrupted since they did not
corrupt after Unchecking "Eject After Import". If they are corrupted 100%
of the time WITH Eject after Import, and not corrupted without "Eject after
Import", then one must assume that there is something fundamentally wrong
with the process. Granted, it could be the iMac, but seems unlikely if I
eject the memory card with iMac Finder and it isn't corrupted, and it is
corrupted with the LR CC function. Since this is now 8 or so memory cards
destroyed, it isn't a random event.

And yes, they are destroyed. iMac can no longer read them.
I spent 33 years in software development. Just because you don't see it on
your machine doesn't mean that there isn't a bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use nothing but Sandisk and its not happening to me on 2015 IMac and macOS 10.14.6.  I have never seen this issue reported anywhere else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually there are other similar problems on the Community with corrupted
memory cards, so it has been seen by others.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Lightroom doesn't write to the card, and even the reading of the card is done via operating system calls, it would be difficult (impossible?) to find a mechanism that could point to Lightroom as the culprit. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 1
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you formatting those SD cards in camera (proper) or in computer (mistake)

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, I am formatting them in the cameras. And I have now had
corrupted memory cards from 2 different Olympus cameras and one Nikon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the SD card reader internal or external.

If external, do you have another, is something wrong with the SD card reader/cable?

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SD Card reader is internal to the iMac. (My photography instructor
told us never to use a remote cable due to potential for loss of data).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but your Photo instructor is givng you the wrong information.

I have always used card readersthat I connect ot my computers with a cable of one type or another. I would think 99% of all people that take digital photos use a cable from either a camera or card reader. In fact the Built in card reader in your Mac is connected by a bunch of wires of one kind or another to the rest of the computer.

Do cables fail? Sure they do. Can a built in card reader go bad? Most certainly.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 04, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your instructor may have been refering to connecting the camera with the SD card in it to the computer via USB. Slows things down, puts camera in between source and destination.

Connecting a external SD card reader to a computer is not much different from using an internal SD card reader, in one a temporary USB cable is used, in the other a USB connection is either connected to a terminal (pushed onto/in  it), or soldered to a terminal that you (on a laptop ) cannot access, still a USB connection between reader and motherboard. 

Very few desktop computers have internal SD card readers. Strange how all of us desktop users are doing it wrong.

Utter Wrong.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 05, 2020 0