Building RAF thumbnails on import very slow

New Here ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I am struggling with a problem that I tried to ignore for a while. But after having tested a LR competitor software (and having seen how fast imports could be) I am frustrated about this issue. So I hope for a solution on that.

In the import dialog, for my Fuji RAF files, it takes a long time to generate the thumbnails to chosse the files to be imported. Each thumbnail takes verious seconds to generate. Let´s say, for 30 Files it may take about 2 -3 Minutes. Sometimes some of the thumbnails seem to not generate at all. But: whem I click on the single view of one file - the preview is immediately there (obviously the embedded JPG) - going back to the grid view, it still takes forever and most of the thumbnails are still gray. This makes importing almost impossible. 

I already reinstalled LR from scratch. I tried with a new catalog. Issue is always the same.

Any ideas or recommendations on that? 

MacbookPro Late 2016, BigSur

LR Classic, 10.2

TOPICS
Import and export, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing via a USB cable, a card reader, or from a disk? As a first troubleshooting step, copy the files to the disk and then import them into LR from there.  Does that go any faster?   What to do next depends on this first step.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried this already. Does not matter which source is used. It goes faster with DNG or other RAW files. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which camera model?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuji X100F, XT-2 and X-Pro2. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested importing 30 X-Pro2 files from dpreview.com on my LR 10.2 / Mac OS 11.2.3 / Macbook Pro 2019, and the Import window displayed the thumbnails in a few seconds. This suggests the issue is specific to your configuration.

Since LR is simply reading the embedded thumbnails, this isn't an issue with rendering the raw files, the GPU, or the preview cache.

Try resetting LR's preferences: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.  (Reinstalling LR doesn't reset preferences.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I will try and let you know. When I reinstalled LR I deleted evertything (Mac App Cleaner) - but I will give it a try. Must be some individual problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this did not change a thing. Execpt that I have to set up my preferences from sctrach ;-).

Still some thumbnails take more than 30 seconds to load.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-01 um 19.33.15.png 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's too bad. Maybe someone else has some suggestions. (Re preferences, I indicated that the article explains how to save and restore your old preferences.  If you have regular backups, you could restore them from backup.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried some more. I tried to format the SD Card on the Mac or in different cameras. No difference. Importing existing files from interbal SSD. Same problem. And I figured out, that during building the thumbnails the CPU load is very high (around 250%). So strange.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"during building the thumbnails the CPU load is very high (around 250%)"

I think that's normal -- I observe similar CPU utilization on my Macbook Pro. LR is using multiple processor cores to process the thumbnails concurrently (and faster).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines