• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Building Search Index

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that my Lightroom is doing two tasks when I upload photos.  I've never noticed it doing that before and the import process is taking so much longer now.  
I recently changed the location of my catalog to an external drive but I didn't make any other changes.  
Can someone please help me with the way to turn off the indexing?  Or maybe I need to be doing that.  I'm not sure.  
It's also converting them to DNG which it never used to do either.

If anyone is familiar with these areas I'd be grateful so some direction.

Thanks, Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn off Face detection and address lookup (click on the nameplate at the top left). You can also turn off the sync with Lightroom mobile, depending on your version of Lightroom Classic, so in version 9.4 this is done via the cloud icon at top right.

If that's not it: What do you see? Show us a screen capture.

Also, what specifically is being converted to DNG? Where do you see this is happening? What do you see? Please be specific and detailed. Show us a screen capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lightroom issue.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the DNG thing figured out but if I change to ADD will it take care of the building search index as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You seem to be suggesting that Lightroom is automatically converting your images to DNG. That is not the case. Converting to DNG is one of the options at the top of the import dialog, along with Copy, Add (If the images are already on your hard drive) and Move (again, if the images are already on your hard drive). But these are options that you need to take care of when setting up your import choices. You are in control, so take it and run with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...It must have gotten clicked at some point as it wasn't doing it like this before I changed my catalog location.  I will click on Add in the future.  Thanks for the clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote:

Ok...It must have gotten clicked at some point as it wasn't doing it like this before I changed my catalog location.  I will click on Add in the future.  Thanks for the clarification.

End Quote:

If you are importing from a Camera Memory Card, SD/Whatever, you either will not be able to click on, Use, the Add option or even IF it is available you should use the COPY option.

The Copy option will Copy image files from your memory card to a Drive and Folder of your chosing that is connected to your computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had seen that link but I didn't think face recognition was connected to my issue but I'm learning it might be.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First did you Move the Actual Catalog file to an External drive? Or did you move just your images?

Clcik the Pause button on the face and address lookups.

I persoanlly have never seen that entry for Search Indexing.

Als you have Selected Copy As DNG in the import dialog and that is why LrC is converting your images to DNG files. You need to Review all the options in the import dialog window before you click the Import button. And Or Create an Import Preset that sets all the option you want for a Normal/Standard import that you do and make sure it is selected and or the options you want are selected every time before you click that Import button.

I am curently doing an import of JPG images that were already on my drive so I used the Add option in the import wiindow and I do not get any Building Search Indexing. But then I have the Win 10 Search indexing system turned off on my system. Not sure if it is LrC that is doing that or the OS and LrC is just Reflecting that operation. It could also be the Face and Address system that is causing that which I have Paused.

2020-09-07 11_29_02-Lightroom (5%).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen the building search index thing. Not sure wat that is. Normally by far the fastest way to import images is to select copy (if you are importing from a memory card) and to use embedded previews in the preview section and to NOT create smart previews. This will just copy the images to your storage location and extract the jpeg previews from the raw files which is way faster than generating your own previews. Lightroom generated previews will now only get generated if you actually edit the image. Indeed make sure you don't have face detection turned on. You can either pause it from the nameplate or turn it off in catalog settings->metadata

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines