• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Built new PC - wondering what to put where.

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I built a new computer ground up to replace my last photo editing machine. My question is where I should put the software and photos. I have two sata drives that are running Raid 0 and I also have 2 nvme drives running in raid 0. I am wondering what would be better for storing the photos that I will be working on. When I edit photos I am pulling out the file and editing it in ram correct? I am just asking because I would like to put all my programs on the nvmes because of speed and use the cheaper sata ssds with higher capacity to store the photos until I am done working on them and move them to an external and cloud. I am z7 so files are big, hence the reason new computer, and I want to make editing the fastest it can be. I dont want programs and photos on same raid 0 array. Will sata be a lot slower than the nvmes or does it really matter for the photo storage? What will speed up processing the most? Programs or photos on the fastest array. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your images can go to the external drive to begin with because Lightroom doesn't really access those images even during the editing sessions. All of the editing takes place in the catalog. All of the changes are stored in the catalog. Lightroom just needs to know where the image is located. It's a good idea to have the program and the catalog on a fast hard drive, but speed is not critical as far as where the images are located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the response. Exactly what I was looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about when working on in PS? I forgot to mention that in first post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're working with raw images Photoshop will always create a new image at the end of the editing session. If you're working with JPEG images you'll have the option to work with the original or a copy. I think the best plan would be to have Photoshop installed on a fast drive, images could still be installed wherever. If everything is running properly you shouldn't see any performance issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Jim, I appreciate your help 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm intrigued why you're raiding your NVMe chips.  Are you editing multi-layer 4k video?  I have 2 NVMe  EVO 960 drives running in isolation.  Processing 45mp raw files in Lightroom CC is blisteringly fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines