Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera .icc in Lightroom

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2017 Aug 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have created a camera profile with the Digital ColorCkecker SG for better quality compared to the ColorChecker Passport.
My profile now is a .icc. How can I now use this profile in Lightroom as it is not a .dcp?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

ACR/LR uses DNG (DCP) Camera Profiles not ICC. There are some advantages to this that I'm sure the Adobe Engineers/Color Scientists can explain much better than me. One of the significant advantages I've found is the ability to create a Dual Illuminant profile (Tungsten/Daylight).

So in your case, you could

• Use your ICC with Photoshop by using the Assign Profile command.
  • Use a program like BasicColor Input 5 or Lumariver Profile Designer to create a DNG (DCP) Profile for ACR/LR from your ColorCheck

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2017 Aug 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ACR/LR uses DNG (DCP) Camera Profiles not ICC. There are some advantages to this that I'm sure the Adobe Engineers/Color Scientists can explain much better than me. One of the significant advantages I've found is the ability to create a Dual Illuminant profile (Tungsten/Daylight).

So in your case, you could

• Use your ICC with Photoshop by using the Assign Profile command.
  • Use a program like BasicColor Input 5 or Lumariver Profile Designer to create a DNG (DCP) Profile for ACR/LR from your ColorChecker SG.

I'd also like to add that you need to take careful consideration with lighting when shooting the Colorchecker SG. I use one myself and have found that due to it's semi-gloss surface, it can be a real pain to shoot. Ideally you want even illumination with no flare/reflections of the light source. This sounds really easy at first until you notice that some of your black patches are washed out and are grey. Or you shoot the chart at such an awkward perspective that you can't line up the patches in the software.

Also after diving into this rabbit hole myself, I really want to give some credit to the guys at Adobe for creating the profiles they have so far.

Adobe seems to get a lot of flack about their color and camera profiles, often times people saying how Adobe has crap color and C1 or some other software has great color. I'm guilty of this myself actually. However after making tons of these profiles myself both DNG and ICC and experimenting with different software, I can say that Adobe has done a pretty decent job of making some flexible, all around use profiles. One thing you'll notice when making profiles is that the profile you generate may not work how'd you'd expect on all images. For instance, images with colored lights. The profile I generated from my reflective light target completely butchered images I had taken of neon lights. So for reasons like that, I gotta hand it to Adobe for taking the time to make profiles flexible on a wide variety of images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines