• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Camera profiles for Canon EOS R5 needed - handling of .CR3 RAW-files not acceptable

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just received my EOS R5 and as others already have mentioned on the forum the Adobe support for one of the best cameras on the whole market is not very good. LR/ACR lacks dedicated camera profiles. After importing the files it became very clear that ALL files are underexposed by at least 1 stop. You can safely add 1 stop across the whole R5 library to get a more decent exposure (in other forums users were talking about 1,5-2 stops but I think 1 stop is pretty close). Shadows are way too dark, color rendering is far from acceptable and accurate. There are color profiles available for the R5 (e.g. Color Fidelity) that show more of the camera's potential.
So please Adobe....include camera profiles and more accurate presets for the EOS R5 to unleash the camera's full potential. So far Canon's own software (DPP) gets the best results but as a loooongtime LR and PS user I prefer to do my postprocessing with Adobe products. Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that this forum is primarily for User to User communication. As such, it's unlikely that you'll receive any response from Adobe here. However, see this linked thread on the Lightroom Classic feedback forum https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/canon-r5-raw-images-are-underexposed  which contains an official reponse from Adobe to your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"After importing the files it became very clear that ALL files are underexposed by at least 1 stop. You can safely add 1 stop across the whole R5 library to get a more decent exposure"

Just to pick up on that. This is in fact common for all cameras from all manufacturers. I consistently saw that with all my Nikons through the years, and now the same thing with the Sony a7r mark 2 and 3 both. One stop brighter in the camera LCD/jpeg, with every one of them.

The explanation is simpler than you think, and not what you think. It's the same sensor data, after all, so Lightroom isn't "doing" anything with it. The Canon version isn't really brighter, they just pushed the same data further. Lightroom's representation of the available data is more conservative, intended to preserve as much as possible at default settings. Feel free to push it as much as Canon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your input. I hear what you are saying.

But I'm not talking about the LCD/jpeg and I understand that those can/could/will look differently.

I have developed close to 300K+ Canon pictures with LR from it's very first version to LR CC and the 5D Mark IV as the latest experience. So I think I got a decent feeling what to expect (and what not).

The histogram in LR looks mostly sad with the R5 files and using the Color Fidelity profiles already goes into the right direction.
A conservative handling of the files is good but here it clearly is way OFF from reality. And frankly I expect from a premium software that it handles the files of one the best cameras on today's market in a decent way and clearly it does not. There is little need for a software that requires substantial adjustments during import.

I understand all RAW converters are different and that's fine. But in this case Adobe needs to finetune it's software, provide decent camera profiles and a decent RAW handling. In the link above you can also read that Adobe acknowledge this being a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"here it clearly is way OFF from reality"

My point is that with raw files, there is no such thing as reality. There is no "correct" way to represent raw sensor data - only how it's interpreted. Which is either up to Canon, or up to you.

So what you're really saying is that you want Lightroom to agree more with how Canon chooses to interpret the data. OK, that's a valid point, it's nice to use the LCD as a reliable guide to exposure.

Personally I'm not very bothered by it. I know it's there, and keep it in mind. I have no intention to follow Nikons/Sonys ideas of how the image should look anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines