• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I edit and save exif data without having to export the images again?

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I upload a lot of content to stock photo websites.

I was wondering if it would be possible to edit the exif data of a collection of images in lightroom without having to export a second copy of those images.. 

For example: I have a series of JPG images that I have already (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away) edited and exported. I would like to be able to open the images in Lightroom, edit and add exif data (tags, etc...) and save the images again where they currently exist without having to export new, separate copies of the already existing images. 

Is there a "save exif data" function that I have not found yet?

Thanks!!

Jesse

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Oh my goodness.. I found it.. In case anyone is wondering, you just right-click the image in the library module and under "Metadata" there's an option to "save metadata to file"... I feel silly now.. Thanks anyway!!

Link to documentation:

Save metadata changes to a file manually 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my goodness.. I found it.. In case anyone is wondering, you just right-click the image in the library module and under "Metadata" there's an option to "save metadata to file"... I feel silly now.. Thanks anyway!!

Link to documentation:

Save metadata changes to a file manually 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can turn this on automatically, it's under Catalog Settings->Metadata->Automatically Write Changes to XMP

“I was wondering if it would be possible to edit the exif data of a collection of images in lightroom without having to export a second copy of those images.”

Most people don't export a copy of their images just to save their work. Their work is automatically saved in the Lightroom Classic catalog, you can't turn this off. So the next time you launch Lightroom Classic, your work is still there. This is a good time (not later) to learn how the Lightroom Classic catalog works. https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-catalog-basics.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I appreciate your response- but why would I not export images from Lightroom? I import raw files, make my edits, and then export jpg's to use wherever I need them.. my question was how could I go about changing exif data on already exported jpg images without having to re-export them.. I already found the answer to this in that Lightroom has this feature baked into the library module.. cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines