Can I remove duplicated files after DNG conversion?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mistakenly selected save original files upon conversion to DNG and selected my whole catalog.  Now I have a DNG and CR2/xmp of the same image.  In order to recover storage space, I have been manually deleting CR2/xmp files and preserving the DNG file.  Any way to do this more efficiently?

TOPICS
How to, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bilt,

Easy-peasy. Go to Library mode, Grid View, and on the top you'll see:

2020-11-27_15-18-53.png

[Note: if you do not see all of this in Grid view, click the arrow on top]

Set the item you're looking for for "Text" (just under the red box above). Then for Text in the options in the lighter grey set that to "Filename," Set the next dropedown to "Contains." Lastly, for the last field, enter "CR2" and tap your Return/Enter key Now you can select all and delete away.

As far as the xmp files, I "pretty sure" those files will be deleted with the CR2 files. However, to verify, click on one of the DNG files that remain, right-click, and select "Show in Finder/Explorer" Since these are in the same folder, if there are any XMP files remaining, you can manually delete them.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To @gary_sc -  I think @billt71060097 has a bigger problem as I see it!

When you 'convert' original raw files in the Catalog to DNG- It is the DNG version that becomes the image referenced in the Catalog, and the original raws (if preserved) no longer show, or are referenced, in the Catalog! So a Text search in Lightroom will not find the original raws.

Any 'Delete' step would need to be in the File Browser of the OS.

So unless we see other suggestions- it may be necessary to look in folders with the File Browser (Finder / File Explorer) and manually select all raw originals to 'delete' leaving the DNGs in place.

Any 'orphaned'  raws (never imported to the Catalog) would be a problem (if deleted) as there is no DNG converted for these!

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.1.1, Photoshop 22.2, Lightroom 4.1, Windows-10 Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah if you forgot to select "delete originals after succesful conversion" you end up with the raw originals and xmp if you had writing to xmp turned on strewed all over your hard disk. There is now no reference in Lightroom Classic to these files anymore so no way to find them again. The only thing you can do when this happened is use a commandline tool or Finder/explorer search to find them and delete them. An Alternative would be to synchronize the folders again so as to reimport all the orginal raw files and then delete them in Lihgtroom using the search proposed by Gary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JimHess LATEST
Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, going to Finder/Explorer it is possible to sort by file type. Then it's easy to remove the images you no longer want.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines