• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I work on my Adobe Lightroom (Classic) library from another computer?

Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

All of my Lightroom photos sit on an external hard drive, attached to a desktop computer at home.

Is there a way for me to edit/organize/manipulate photos on another computer over a home network without having to attach the hard drive to that computer?

Is there a way for me to do the same from a computer that is remote and not on my home network (i.e. when I'm traveling)?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you could put the photos on a network drive, the catalog file will not work on the network drive.

So the easiest thing to do is to put the catalog on the same external drive as the photos, and move the external drive to the second computer. Same thing for traveling.

For traveling, some people create a different catalog on the computer you travel with, and import on only new photos that are taken on the trip, then when they return home they merge the travel catalog into the main catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you experimented with synced collections yet? If you use synced collections you will be able to access them via  Lightroom Mobile on any device or browser and your edits will be saved to your Classic catalog. The  exception is with keywording.  The original files stay where you've saved them  and Lr  makes  Smart  Previews which you can rate, flag  edit, share,  allow others to download.

This  Adobe help doc goes into details -  hope it's helpful: How to sync Lightroom Classic photos with Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This might help:

Here you'll find info about using a catalog file on multiple computers:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-to-lightroom-catalog-multiple-computers/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines