• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Lightroom catalog display where a picture is stored?

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple external drives that I use with my laptop. I maintian collections of pictures that I access through multiple devices. I store most of my collection pictures online but once in a while I fail to keep a picture on the hard drive. Can the catalog tell me where a particular picture is stored? If so, how do I display its location?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you right mouse click on the thumbnail in Library view and choose Show in Finder (macOS) or Show in Explorer (Windows) an OS window will open showing the photo and others in the same folder. Similarily, you can right click on a folder in Folder panel.

Both macOS (bottom of window) and Windows (below window toolbar) have a view option that allows you to display a path bar. You can use this to see exactly where on you computer or external drive the selected photo is located. I've attached a screenshot of macOS path bar.

path-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, in multiple ways. Like any good organizer, Lightroom Classic provides direct access to the source file.

In the Library or Develop modules (and maybe some others), when an image is selected:

• To see where that file is stored on any drive attached to your computer, choose Photo > Show in Finder (Mac) or Explorer (Windows). Lightroom Classic will switch to your Mac or Windows desktop, open the folder where that file is stored, and select the file for you.
  • To see where that file is stored in the Folders panel in Lightroom Classic, choose Photo > Go to Folder in Library.

Those two commands are also available when you right-click an image or its thumbnail preview. I know you're concerned with folders, but right-clicking also gives you the Go to Collection command, which is great because it lists all of the collections where that image is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines