• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can new Lightroom Classic installation overwrite existing version?

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Community,

A while back, I was gifted lightroom. This was not purchased as an online subscription, but rather, a physical disk and then download onto my desktop. Now, I want to buy the Photography subscription and I want to know if the Lightroom from that will update the one I already have or how do I get rid of the one I have without losing anything on it? If you guys need more clarification, just let me know. Would be greatful for your help! Thanks!

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you subscribe to the Photography Plan and begin using Lightroom Classic, none of your older software or data or photos or catalogs is destroyed or changed or deleted. Furthermore, you can have an old Lightroom and a new Lightroom Classic on the same computer, no problem (but please be aware that work you do in the new Lightroom Classic is not backwards compatible to the old Lightroom) and really, after the 7 day free trial period with the new Lightroom Classic, I would not even consider using the old Lightroom any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! 

So I can delete my old Lightroom, essentially? I don't want to waste storage when I can have new software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there,

To add to what dj_paige mentioned, the old catalog you have for the version you are using, can be upgraded to be compatible with Lightroom Classic. During the process, a copy of your existing  catalog would be created and upgraded to be compatible with latest version. This way your old catalog remains intact to be used with the old version and the upgraded copy (with the images and edits you have done) can be used with the latest version.

You can keep both versions on the computer if you wish or uninstall it if you do not wish to use it again. However as mentioned the work that you do in the latest version would not be compatible with the older version.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines