Highlighted

can not see sidecar xmp file next to RAW photos in folder: lightroom classic

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Friends,

I'm using the latest version of lightroom classic. While importing the photos, I always use 'add'. I want to save my edits to sidecar .xmp files so that I can import the edits into third party app (photolab 3) but I don't see any sidecar .xmp created next to the RAW file. I tried using 'auto write changes into xmp' option under 'catalog setting'. I also tried saving metadata into a file for a single RAW photo. I do not use jpeg for my edits so do not know if it works with jpeg or not. 

Any help?

Many thanks

Mithlesh

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jao_vdL | Adobe Community Professional

The xmp sidecars are saved inside the dng file. This happens for all filetypes that support metadata in a standard format such as tiff, jpeg, png, and indeed dng.

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

can not see sidecar xmp file next to RAW photos in folder: lightroom classic

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Friends,

I'm using the latest version of lightroom classic. While importing the photos, I always use 'add'. I want to save my edits to sidecar .xmp files so that I can import the edits into third party app (photolab 3) but I don't see any sidecar .xmp created next to the RAW file. I tried using 'auto write changes into xmp' option under 'catalog setting'. I also tried saving metadata into a file for a single RAW photo. I do not use jpeg for my edits so do not know if it works with jpeg or not. 

Any help?

Many thanks

Mithlesh

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Jao_vdL | Adobe Community Professional

The xmp sidecars are saved inside the dng file. This happens for all filetypes that support metadata in a standard format such as tiff, jpeg, png, and indeed dng.

Topics

Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom will not display the XMP files even if you have that option selected. If you right-click on the  image, however, there is an option to show the image in Finder or File Explorer, and if you choose that option you should be able to see your system browser display the folder with the raw files and the XMP files.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear JimHess,

I understand this part. I'm trying to see .xmp files in the finder (mac). I just noticed that .xmp files are getting created for .NEF file format (Nikon) but not for .DNG format (Ricoh GR III). 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response. So even if I do not see .xmp sidecar files in the finder browser, they are saved inside the .DNG files. Also, If I open the lightroom edited .DNG file in other editing application (such as photolab 3), I should see the edits in photolab 3. Is this correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is one of the characteristics of the DNG file. There is no XMP file, but rather the data is all stored within the DNG file itself.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the edit metadata is saved inside the dng files but these edits, just like the edits saved in a real sidecar file, can only be read by Adobe programs. They will only work in Lightroom (both Classic and Cloudy) and Photoshop/Camera Raw. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to be very explicit, the edits will not be visible in Photolab

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. To summarize,

1. The edits in .NEF file are saved in .xmp sidecar file and they can be visible in photolab.

2. The edits in .DNG files are saved in the file itself. The edits will only work in Lightroom/Photoshop/Camera RAW and not in photolab. 

If I make the .DNG edits in photolab, is it possible to bring the edits to Lightroom?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In both cases the ”edits” can only be read and used by Adobe Apps as stated in earlier posts. Only standard metadata will be useful to other applications.

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS10.15.6: LrC 9.4, Lr 3.4.1, Ps 21.2.3, Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification. Also, if I use the same RAW file (.NEF or .DNG) in lightroom and photolab separately, the edits can be different in both without interfering with each other (or without trying to overwrite into .xmp or .DNG), is that correct?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would test this. There is a large potential that the edits from the other program in the xmp get overwritten. I would NOT count on them being benevolent to each other.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jao, and everyone who responded.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines