• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import images onto lightroom because the "add" button is greyed out

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using lightroom fine for a couple of weeks, however recently I can no longer import the images from my SD card onto lightroom through "add" it's greyed out. I'm forced to make a copy of the pictures somewhere so it can add the images to the catalog. This is extremely frustrating and time consuming. I've looked everywhere for a solution but of no avail. Would someone be able to help?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

The correct behavior of Lightroom Classic is to not allow "Add" when photos are on a camera card. Only "Copy" or "Copy as DNG" are allowed.

If at some time in the past you were able to "Add" photos from a camera card, this is a bug that has appeared from time to time. What you are seeing now is the correct behavior of Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Hi CameraWiz,

To answer that, let's look at what the four options are for:

-Copy as DNG is only relevant if your original images are raw images. If your original images are JPG images, ignore than.

-Copy means that it will take the images, whereever they are and make a copy of them to a new location, one that you want all your images to be located at.

-Move means that it will take the images from where they are to a location where you want all of your images.

-Add means that it will leave your

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct behavior of Lightroom Classic is to not allow "Add" when photos are on a camera card. Only "Copy" or "Copy as DNG" are allowed.

If at some time in the past you were able to "Add" photos from a camera card, this is a bug that has appeared from time to time. What you are seeing now is the correct behavior of Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then, what is the purpose of the "add" button? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Add" leaves the photos exactly where they are, it doesn't move or copy the photos. It is really only useful when the photos are already on one of your hard disks or network drives, and you want to leave them in the folder where they are currently located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CameraWiz,

See my answer below

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is for IF You Copy images to your hard drive, in Exactly the Drive & Folder you want them in and then want to import them into the LR Classic Catalog.

The Add option leaves them where you placed them and just Adds them to the catalog file.

The Catalog file is just a Database file that a Record, a Reference, is placed in the database as to what drive and folder they are stored on and any edits you have made to each image.

There are No actual photos in the LR Catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CameraWiz,

To answer that, let's look at what the four options are for:

-Copy as DNG is only relevant if your original images are raw images. If your original images are JPG images, ignore than.

-Copy means that it will take the images, whereever they are and make a copy of them to a new location, one that you want all your images to be located at.

-Move means that it will take the images from where they are to a location where you want all of your images.

-Add means that it will leave your images where they are but they will still be recorded in your catalog.

The option to Add is great if you do not care where your images are located. This is because LR doesn't care where the images are located, it just needs to know so that it can follow your activities. If you do care where they are located, then you need to Move or Copy them because I keep all of my images together in the same location. 

My guess is that your images might still be on your camera/phone and as such LR thinks that that's not a viable location.

Keep in mind taht if you move your images in the Finder/Explorer, LR doesn't have a clue as to where you've moved them to. You can show LR where they are later on but that's a lot of extra work. It's much better to move images within LR to avoid those complications. That's also why I keep all of my images inside one folder (and many subfoldes).

Let us know if this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ohhh that makes a lot of sense actually. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me understand!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two video tutorials that illustrate the use of 'Copy' and 'Add'-

http://youtu.be/lYKzz2a5Mts

https://youtu.be/--nEKNEH_1I

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I'll definitely give those videos a watch so I can further understand the difference. Maybe in the future I'll also be able to help others!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines