• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import videos - Connecting to dynamic link server failed while importing videos

New Here ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having so many import issues now that I have migrated to Lightroom Classic CC.

I can no longer import GoPro videos. The import dialog bar hangs and then eventually a message saying that the connection to the dynamic link server failed while importing video. Usually I also get the number 35 or also 26. I have a Mac and tried going to the Activity Monitor and stopping the Dynamic Link Media Server and Manager. I also renamed the folders in the Adobe Preferences folder. All of the posts in the forum are really old and have not worked for me. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Help!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Deleting VLC was also the key step for me. I tried other fixes, like folder renaming, and those did not help. I am on a Macbook Pro October 2013 running Catalina and Lightroom Classic 9.3. After deleting VLC I was able to import videos to Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2019 Mar 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

When trying to import GoPro Hero 7 Videos, LR will hang.

Very bad as it would be very convenient to hand photo and video in parallel

Luckily Photo still work.

Adobe: get this fixed please. Too many users complain about this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guessing Adobe a) don't know how to fix this and b) can't be bothered to fix it.

I have had many chats & calls with adobe, most of them have no clue and keep repeating the same "fix' which has been tried many times along with every other suggestion

What is the issue ?

Why can't they fix this ?

Why can't the provide a solution that works ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's only b). The dynamiclinkmediaserver has been a problem for years, originally for the cache bloat problem. The problem is replicable and the cause is probably already known. I think if it was a priority, a competent programmer could work out a solution fairly quickly. They just haven't devoted the effort to it. Face recognition for pets must be a higher priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2019 May 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Went down many rat holes trying to resolve this problem. Uninstalled the entire Adobe Creative Suite, ran the Adobe CS Clean Up tool and removed everything from the machine - still would not resolve the issue; changed cache settings within Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic and still no resolution; uninstalled NVidia drivers and reinstalled, reset default config - sill no resolution.

BTW: I think that the Adobe CS removal tool wiped clean all version numbers and installation dates of all my Windows application - when I go into Windows Control Panel for Programs, all that information is cleared blank and it was clearly there prior to the uninstall.

Long story short - Resolved the issue with uninstalling VLC media player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!! This save me hour of work! I appreciate you posting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting VLC was also the key step for me. I tried other fixes, like folder renaming, and those did not help. I am on a Macbook Pro October 2013 running Catalina and Lightroom Classic 9.3. After deleting VLC I was able to import videos to Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2024 Feb 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To remove VLC It Did Not help me, i have also restarted my computer.

Still no succes to import or play viceo files inm Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Started happening a few weeks ago, and haven't been able to import video since. i am about to reinstall everything, but am not hopeful that it will resolve the issue, given the experiences others have been having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2019 May 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, after much reading through similar problem reports on various Adobe forums, found the answer - at least for Win10:

• Close Lightroom
  • In Task Manager, look under 'Background processes' for Dynamic Link Server. It will probably show significant CPU and memory usage
  • Kill that task
  • Re-open Lightroom, and re-import the video files (or Synchronize if you have manually imported the files into the directory bypassing LR)

Worked for me, even after closing then re-opening LR and re-importing new video files.

This issue has been reported to Adobe many times before judging by the number of previous comments in the various forums, some several years old, but clearly Adobe have not done anything about it. It's dangerous, because if you miss or forget the error message and then delete/reformat your memory card without thinking ready for the next shoot, you will lose the video files - very easy to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much! This worked for us too (on mac - we used equivalent 'Activity Monitor' to search task and force quit) I also uninstalled VLC in case that was also something to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me (activity monitor on Mac) thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2023 May 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me, thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2019 Oct 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried EVERYTHING to fix this issue with no luck.  Uninstall, reinstall, upgrade, downgrade, delete processes here and there, reboot, reboot again, delete cache, delete folders, etc., etc.  Frustration aplenty.  Windows 10. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not solved, still having problems, all the suggested fixes don't work. Come on Adobe, this has been going on for years now. With all the increased revenue with the switch to CC please put some resource into solving this long standing problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've had the same or similar Lightroom issues with video playback/ import not working at all. Ive tried every solution ive come across online and none of it worked. After spending a few hours on the customer service chat, they remotely controlled my computer and eventually found a fix that worked. They did all the things I've tried so many times, and of course those didn't work again. Uninstalling with the Adobe Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool didn't work the 1st try.  But before trying again Cust. Support made a small change that made a big difference. CustSup first went to (on Mac) Library/Application Support/Adobe, and also ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe . Theres 2 library folders, the user library, and system library, both which have Application Support and Adobe folders inside. Then renamed both Adobe folders to "Adobe.old". And that's what fixed it! They then went on to run the Cleaner Tool to uninstall and then reinstalled CC and Lr. I was shocked to see everything working!! Videos played and new videos imported like normal again! I guess changing the Adobe folders to Adobe.old before reinstalling made it so any leftover files couldn't be recognized and maybe kept around to be used again in the reinstall. I was curious if this fix was mentioned anywhere on here since I've never came across it before. (or i wouldve tried it) I only found a post that this fix worked for someone having issues with the dynamiclink media server but for After Effects and Premire Pro instead. So i wanted to share what fixed it for me in hopes it might help others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. please help wanted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please check out this link and follow the steps mentioned in case you get such errors :

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-video-issues.html

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I am really frustrated by this answer. You apparently did not read any of the discussion above?!
Closing the task or the process does nothing. Here is a list of things I have done on my Windows 10 system (including 2h of adobe remote support):

- Deleted appdata folders of dynamic link
- Delete Creative Suite and all associated programs (Lightroom, Photoshop, Bridge)

- Delete antivirus software

- Updated graphic card driver

- Deleted iTunes and Quicktime

- Clear system cache

- Disable graphic card support in lightroom

- Installed older version of lightroom 8.4.1

- Installed Premiere Pro for video codecs

- Moved all files to system drive and imported from there

- looked fro all folders and files associated with dynamic link and deleted them

So far nothing has helped.

Please take a look at this again. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Granted you're on Windows and I'm on Mac, but it seems the DynamicLinkMediaServer process is the culprit here, since someone else also reported it working on WinX. 

• Exit/Kill Lightroom
  • Start up Process Explorer (Activity Monitor) and look for DynamicLinkMediaServer and kill it.
  • Restart Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, though when I restart Lightroom, "DynamicLinkMediaServer" starts up again. Do you know of a way to disable it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. Do you mind sharing the videos which you are unable to import or play in Lightroom? We would try to reproduce the issue in-house and let you know.

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines