• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't see white on white type when identifying people on thumbnails in facial recognition

Community Beginner ,
Feb 07, 2021 Feb 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a weird one. I have been running facial recognition on a very large collection of photos, and it is going fine. But now suddenly, in thumbnail view, when I click on the name below a thumbnail to edit it, it turns to white-on-white text, and I can't see what I am typing, nor can I see any suggestions from LR from the list of already-entered names, as I could before.

I am working on a small screen (a Surface Pro), with a large number of people, so dragging the photo to a face is not an option. If I double-click and open the photo, I can edit the name as usual, but this takes more time, and I have thousands to do.

I have no idea what setting might have changed. I am using dark mode. Thank you for helping out a newbie!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Try resetting LR's preferences: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

I just fixed this for myself by increasing the thumbnail size in Person view to anything above the smallest setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting LR's preferences: 
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried johnrellis' useful sounding suggestion yet, but wanted to report that I am experiencing this exact issue and am also using dark mode. The weird thing is that it just started being a problem in the middle of my editing names. No idea what triggered it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know whether resetting preferences fixes the issue, in case this strikes someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It indeed does fix the issue. So thank you for that.

That said, it pretty much made me ill to lose all of my preferences and contemplate the slog to get back to where I am now workflow-wise. So I'm going to spend a least a little time comparing the old and the rebuilt preferences files and see if I can identify something that might be at play. Probably a waste of energy, but I'd be elated to figure it out. (And yes, will report back here in that unlikely event.) Recommendations are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just fixed this for myself by increasing the thumbnail size in Person view to anything above the smallest setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you worked around the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I would definitely want anyone with this situation to try this before taking the more aggressive step of resetting the preference file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This does fix the problem and is much less drastic. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines