• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you save Local Adjustments such as brush strokes in Lightroom?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if I'm using the Radial Filter, I can create an adjustment and save it as a Develop Preset which appears on the left panel.

Can the same thing be done with the Brush tool?

For example, could I paint a "light-leak" using the brush tool, then save that local adjustment as a Develop preset on the left, then apply that to other images?

Or is it only possible to save the Brush's settings as a preset?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

It looks like they've somehow custom edited the code to include Local Adjustments made with a brush in the preset

Here's how to manually edit a preset to include brush strokes:

1. Download and install my free Show Catalog Metadata plugin.  Follow the instructions for one of my other plugins for how to install it, e.g. Export LUT Lightroom Plugin

2. In the Develop > Presets panel, create a new preset called "Brush", with just Exposure checked.

3. Right-click the preset and do Show In Finder / Explo

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2019 Oct 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works perfect. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do these instructions to manually edit a preset not work with the .xmp preset files? They seem to be in a different format/code than the .xmp prsesets and look like they work with the preivous .lrtemplate preset files. The metadata format that your Show Catalog Metadata plugin pulls up matches a .lrtemplate format/code versus the .xmp. Does that make sense?

When I get to the last few steps that johnrellis lists my manually edited preset disappears when I reopen lightroom, and when I find it and try to import the preset I keep getting the error "Unable to import presets- The XMP metadata for the file contained no settings"

Has anyone tried to do this lately and succeeded?  Or have any advice to offer! Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you've surmised, the instructions posted above were for versions of LR prior to 7.2, when Adobe introduced the new .xmp format for presets. They won't work for later versions of LR, including LR 10.

However, the free Fix Presets plugin lets you add brush local adjustments to presets.

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

AMAZING THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines