• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you switch from LR Classic to LR CC and get the Keywords to sync?

New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used LR Classic for years now. But I am wanting to have one catalog/database of all my images that I can use on desktop iMac's in two different locations. To achive this I have been looking into changing my catalog location to the LR CC and then using Classic at each desktop, sync'd to the CC version.

I am looking at possiable problems and one that keeps coming up is Keywords. All info that I find says that they don't sync. BUT all info saying this is from 2018 at the latest. Has LR CC upgraded to the ability to sync keywords between both versions?

At the least is there a way to transfer your images from LR Classic to LR CC and have the keywords transfer and be useable on CC? I guess if this could happen then I could just continue moving forward doing all keywording only on CC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware, Title and Caption should sync, as should Ratings and Flags.
My understanding is that Keywords won't.
To resolve the problem, are you certain that you have logged into both LR Classic and LR iOS using the same account? Is Sync enabled in your LR Classic catalogue?
Try syncing a new photo from Classic, add a title on the iPad, move to a different photo on the iPad, then check the photo in Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony,  Thanks for the reply.

I have not moved my images from Classic to the Cloud yet. I am wanting to know if 1) keywords import into CC on this move from Classic and 2) has Adobe fixed the keyword problem at all. allowing them to sync after the move?

I don't have an iPad or any problem at the moment, I have 2 desktop iMac's in different physical locations that I want to "share" one catalog of images so I can work on images on either computer and have any changes made be saved in one place. I am looking for solutions to how to achieve this sonario. 

If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this another way, I'd love to hear it. 
Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have not moved my images from Classic to the Cloud yet. I am wanting to know if 1) keywords import into CC on this move from Classic and 2) has Adobe fixed the keyword problem at all. allowing them to sync after the move?"

In Cloudy LR, when you "migrate" a Classic catalogue, the keywords are brought in. If you had any hierarchy in your keyword list, that will not come into Cloudy LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The answer to 2) No and they likely never will

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can use a Cloud-based solution that can work.

Make certain one Catalog is closed before the other is opened though .  .  .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to other's comments

The keywords will sync between Lightroom Classic (desktop-based) and Lightroom (cloud-based).

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adding to other's comments

The keywords will sync between Lightroom Classic (desktop-based) and Lightroom (cloud-based)."

No, they will not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One major flaw with your proposed workflow is that the cloud library can only sync to a single Classic catalog, so you would only be able to use classic on one of your desktop iMacs and you would have to use the cloud version of Lightroom (i.e. Lightroom Desktop in Adobe's extremely confusing naming scheme) on the other ones. As you probably know the capabilities of Lightroom Desktop are very limited (no printing, no export services, no books, no virtual copies, etc.) with respect to Lightroom Classic. Also you need to realize that another problem is that Classic will only sync smart previews to the cloud, so you would have to use Lightroom desktop to import all images as otherwise your full raw files won't end up in the cloud and on the other machines. Also, if you have more than two machines this setup doesn't work because you would need to log in and out of creative cloud to switch between more than two (the license only works on two desktop machines at a time). You can have an unlimited number of iOS and android devices with the mobile OS Lightroom on it though. That said, it is possible that Lightroom Desktop has the features you need and than it is a good solution. It can be maddening if you rely on some of the features in Classic but then perhaps a hybrid solution with one machine running Classic and the others and mobile devices running Lightroom Cloudy might work. That is how I work with Lightroom Cloudy as an addition to Classic on my main machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jao, has hit on the core issue, Lightroom Classic can only sync one Catalog with your Cloud Storage. The best alternative is Lightroom Classic on one computer and Lightroom (cloud-based), on the other Computer.
I am not saying it's impossible but the storage and syncing challenges will be far greater than any benefits.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Sorry, it is impossible to keep the keywords from LR classic to CC or vice versa.The issue, according to Adobe comes from the hierarchy in Classic.

Then, your idea is perfect for everything except Keywords and Adobe has no solution today and I am afraid in the future.

I use LR on multiple computers and I sync my catalogs through external disks. I use Chronosync ( a fantastic tool) to only copy what has change since the last copy ( it is 2 sided) and then I do the same on the other computer. This also provides a safe copy as the two computers are not in the same place.

Hope this helps. But forget, for the moment, syncing keywords. I know , nobody understandSwhy Adobe as opted for this.

Best Regards
Eric Pecquerie
Sent from my iPad Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines