Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot find folders in the root directory

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Gentlemen,

I'm actually restructuring my lighroom file system. I have different catalogues per year and I have created in the root a folder "lightroom original photographs" within the same I would like to move catalogue by catalogue divided by year all my photographs. The point is that even though I use within lightroom the function "show parent folder" I'm able to see only parent folders within the hard drive but not the other folders. I'd like to avoid to move all the files manually. Thank for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the purpose of having individual catalogs by year rather than a master catalog with all of your photos? Please post a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lightroom is not a file browser. The Folders panel will only show you folders that contain photos that have been imported. However, there is an option to add new folders one at a time.

That said, I highly recommend you do much of the reorg outside of Lightroom using Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer. LR can sometimes drop the ball when moving large numbers of files; when this happens both the source and destination files are often lost permanently.

After backing up your catalog:

Move a subtree of folders using the OS tools, do a "find missing folder" in LR, repeat as needed.

Note: if you import a junk photo in your top-most photo folder, LR will automatically do the "show parent folder" for all imported folders under that top-most folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines