Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import MP4 files

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using LR Classic 9.2

Can't import MP4 video file.  Error msg, "Movie file contains no video frames".

File plays ok on QuickTime Player.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you please let us know the format of the video that you are trying to import? If it is an HEVC encoded video, note that the same is currently only supported only on macOS High Sierra (v10.13) or above. Please see https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html#hevc-video-files for more details on the same.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running MAC OS Catalina 10.15.3
My camera, Canon 6D Mark II is set to record Codec: AAC, H.264
Menu settings on my camera are: FHD 29.97P, Standard IPB

I have many other MP4 videos that I've imported into LightRoom in the past
with no problem.--

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Would you mind sharing the video file with us via a Dropbox link?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sample video imports and plays correctly in my LR 9.2 / Mac OS 10.14.6.

It imports without error in my LR 9.2 / Mac OS 10.15.3, but the playback window in LR is all grey (the audio plays fine).  It plays in Quicktime on 10.15.3 just fine.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Ellis, I agree.  It plays fine on my iMAC, and on QuickTime, I just can't import it to LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AKASH,

Have you forgotten me, or are you simply stumpted by this bug?  Come on ADOBE, I'm a long time user of LightRoom.  If you can't figure this out right away, I'll understand and wait, but I need to have you acknowledge it and respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for taking out time to report your issue.

I downloaded the file shared by you and tried to import it in Lr 9.2

I was able to successfully import the video and play it without any issues. At times dynamiclinkmediaserver and dynamiclinkmanager process goes for a toss and then all video related features stop working. Please kill this process(if it is seen in Activity Monitor) before you launch Lightroom.

For further assistance you can check out this link :

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/troubleshoot-video-issues.html

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--
Mike
Mike Brodey, SO-OP, AUC
USCGAUX Division 7-4
Home: 818-347-3853
Cell: 818-635-4833

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved via Adobe LR Tech Support phone call.  He was brilliant!

All new and previously imported MP4 video files have to be converted to HEVC 1080p.  If not, they won't play or import.

To import a new MP4, select the file, at the bottom of the dialog window that opens click on Encode Selected Video File, then from the pull down menu, selct HEVC 1080p.

If you try to play a previously imported MP4 that has not be converted to HEVC 1080p, you get ablank gray screen.  I have not been able to make the conversion within LR, nor can I export the file.  I have to locate the original file in Finder and do the conversion there, as expained above, then re-import into LR.  It sure would be nice if Adobe would come up with a patch or utility that would find all your old video files and convert them automatically within LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder about this process.  My camera is a DJI MINI3 PRO Drone and that device is capable of recording in MP4 or MOV video formats; howevever, I also usse recording options for 4K, 2.4K, 1080 as well as 5 frame rates.  I don't want all of my 4K video converted to 1080.  I shot in 4K for a reason.  All I realy want lightroom to do is show a thumbnail and offer to open with VLC.  Seems much simpler a solution than destroyint all the hiRes video via conversion to 1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2022 Jul 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"All I realy want lightroom to do is show a thumbnail and offer to open with VLC.  Seems much simpler a solution than destroyint all the hiRes video via conversion to 1080."

Consider using the Any File plugin to do this.  It imports thumbnails of videos rather than the videos themselves, and it provides an Open command that opens the cataloged video in the default player you've configured for that file type in your operating system.

Adobe never really finished implementing video in LR since it was introduced in LR 3, and it's always been LR's stepchild, with unreliable import and playback. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"All new and previously imported MP4 video files have to be converted to HEVC 1080p.  If not, they won't play or import."

Hmm, I'm glad you've found a workaround for your issue. But in general, that isn't required: In addition to HEVC (Mac), LR 9.2 continues to support MP4, MOV, AVCHD, and AVI (Windows):

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/video-support-lightroom.html

E.g. I was able to import your sample MP4 into my LR 9.2.  There's something else going with your LR installation, I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2020 May 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have same issue with dji mavic 2 pro 4k hevc files, latest mac os, latest lr classic, adobe ignore this problem more than year

"The video file appears to be corrupted or unrecognizable. It has no audio or video streams"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. Do you mind sharing the videos which you are unable to import or play in Lightroom. We would try to reproduce the issue in-house and let you know.

Regards, Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a great call with Lightroom tech support to solve this.  It's about Codecs.  I used Handbrake to convert all my video files to a uniform .m4v format and all is well.  This takes some time, so I only provceeded after a succesful test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I used Handbrake to convert all my video files to a uniform .m4v format and all is well."

Glad you resolved (or worked around) your issue. Do you remember the particular codecs that were the culprits?  Alternatively, what cameras produced the problem videos?

[Use the blue reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't take the time to figure which Codecs and which cameras.  I had around 2,5k filesin a mix of .wmv, .avi, .mp4 and .mov from maybe oround 10-12 cameras over a couple of decades, so I just jumped to a single batch job and let it run for almost 3 days.  Whn that was done, I imported all to Lightroom and there were no failures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines