• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import prints/slides/negatives in pictures in iMac from Epson Scan into Lightroom Classic

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addtionally, it requires rescanning images and redoing import.  Also found it happens more frequently with scan of prints than slides/negatives, but happens to both.  Any hints as to why this occurs?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I discovered the answer.  If your file being transfered has items that have fowllowing symbols:  (, ) , / then it woll not import.  That is the key in my case.  Thanks for all the suggestions as some were helpful for other issues I may have.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware the image files in your Pictures app on your iMac is only accessable through your Pictures app.

I would suggest either save the scanned images directly into a named folder on your iMac, or export the image files from Pictures to a named folder of your choice which you can then import into LrC.

Ok, I think you can setup the permissions via your iMac system preferences. See the screen capture.

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 8.51.06 AM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing this as your describe but for occasional imports of folders, the pictures cannot be transferrred.  Some unknown erorr occurs.  I'v succeded 90% of the time but there are occasional hiccups, so I'm writing for others experience with this.  It is so random. 

Thanks for the linkage for photos to ligjhtroom sugestion.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing this as your describe but for occasional imports of folders, the pictures cannot be transferrred.  Some unknown erorr occurs.  I'v succeded 90% of the time but there are occasional hiccups, so I'm writing for others experience with this.  It is so random. 

Thanks for the linkage for photos to ligjhtroom sugestion.

Jim

By @jamesw32274649

Try not having LrC open when you are doing the scanning. It could be that LrC Watch is trying to load an image that Epson Scan is still creating and has it locked. Yes, I know it would nice to have both open at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this.  Multi tasking is so tempting.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your goal is to use the Epson Scan as an import source, I don't believe LrC supports scanners. Building on what Denis suggested, you can used a  Watched Folder to automatically load in the scans saved to a specific folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea about Watched Folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the exact error that Lightroom Classic gives when you try to import the scans? How are you saving files from the scanning app (i.e. what file format, color space, bit depth, etc.).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error codes vary but 2 are: 1) files could not be copied to backup location;  unknown error occured (6).

2)unknown error occurred (2).

file format:  tiff

24bit colorscale

1200dpi

High quality.

Maybe you can provide some insight.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does sound like the files might not be fully written out of the scanner app. Perhaps you want to quit the scanner app before trying the import. The other error about "backup location" sounds like you automatically backup your imported files to a second location. Is this an external disk? Is it available? How certain are you that it is reliable? I've seen things like that when an external hard drive was failing intermittently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try it.  The external disk is new and running fine when I use it for other things.

thanks.

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all your suggestions, but I discovered the answer.  If your file being transfered has items that have fowllowing symbols:  (, ) , / then it woll not import.  That is the key in my case.  Thanks for all the suggestions as some were helpful for other issues I may have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines