• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot "Add" to an external Hard Drive

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this question has been asked, and answered, previously.

Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
License: Perpetual
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.1 [19B88]

Mac Mini
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 3.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 971.4 MB (5.9%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 3,818.7 MB

I am using an external 8TB HDD plugged in to the USB port.

The HDD is NTFS formatted and I am using the Paragon NTFS for Mac driver to enable full NTFS functionality with the Mac OS.

I have the latest version of the Paragon drivers, downloaded and installed yesterday.

My problem is that I cannot add to the catalog from the photos I have on the HDD. "Add" and "Move" are greyed out when I try to import using the import options. Only "Copy" and "Copy as DNG" are enabled.

TIA for any suggestions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2019 Nov 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged a bug with LR 9 not being able to Import with Add from external drives on Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina):

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cant-import-with-add-from-external-drive-afte...

It's very possible this problem also exists in LR 6.14. If so, unfortunately you're out of luck, because Adobe never changes older versions of LR.

[Use the reply button under the first post to ensure replies sort properly.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2019 Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebooted and tried again today. And... it works. I did not make any changes before rebooting and retrying.

what does occur to me is that either the OS, NTFS driver or LR might have needed to examine or index or scan the whole drive (7 TB data, 0.9 TB of 60,000 photos) before being ready to Add photos. But it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2019 Nov 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to the bug john mentions, there is a new security feature in Catalina in that there is a shadow permissions system that sandboxes apps from accising files on externals, network drives, the documents folder and the desktop. You can give apps permission to access externals using a preference pane in system preferences or by the popups it will throw.=. You should give Lightroom all the access it needs in the security and privacy system preference pane as in the screenshot below. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 9.00.20 AM.png

Not sure whether it will fix this problem but worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it and it does not help.

I currently see no option but to move the files, almost a TB to a temporary disk and then import them as Copy to the external disk.

BTW, I fail to see why security should have any impact on adding files from an external HD as one is not writing to the external HD, only reading which one can do anyway.

and... with a large set of files I have no option but to use an external HD with my Mac Mini.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW I should mention that I can add files using the external HD by using copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it and add and move works just fine importing from APFS and HFS+ formatted volumes in Catalina running Classic 9. If you have problems even after setting the security stuff correctly my guess is that it must be related to the NTFS format on the drive. Sounds mostly like a Catalina issue.

>BTW, I fail to see why security should have any impact on adding files from an external HD as one is not writing to the external HD, only reading which one can do anyway.

The security setting also blocks apps from reading from external drives which is why I thought that might be the issue. This could still be a permissions issue on the NFS drive though and it not having correct access for the user you are running Classic in. Might be worthwhile to check the permissions on the folders you are trying to import from.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rebooted and tried again today. And... it works. I did not make any changes before rebooting and retrying.

what does occur to me is that either the OS, NTFS driver or LR might have needed to examine or index or scan the whole drive (7 TB data, 0.9 TB of 60,000 photos) before being ready to Add photos. But it does work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your external drive is a Seagate then you may need to install the Paragon driver on your Mac or PC. I run my LightRoom Clasic on a PC and a Mac and keep my lics and catalogue on an external Seagate HD. Solved the cannot connect to external drive issue for me 🙂 Here is a link https://www.seagate.com/support/software/paragon/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines