Highlighted

Canon cCR3 files edits and conversion to DNG in Lightroom

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited some cCR3 files in Lightroom. I have to send them to someone so converted them to DNG. Before sending, I looked at those DNG files in Lightroom. The edit settings were present, but it doesn’t look like they were edited correctly. The photos look pretty bad. Can you tell me happened? If I’m ultimately going to convert the files to DNG, should I convert to DNG before even doing any editing? Do you know if this problem is an artifact of cCR3, and would CR3 be better? I also noticed that the advantage of the small cCR3 file size evaporated when converting to DNG.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Canon cCR3 files edits and conversion to DNG in Lightroom

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited some cCR3 files in Lightroom. I have to send them to someone so converted them to DNG. Before sending, I looked at those DNG files in Lightroom. The edit settings were present, but it doesn’t look like they were edited correctly. The photos look pretty bad. Can you tell me happened? If I’m ultimately going to convert the files to DNG, should I convert to DNG before even doing any editing? Do you know if this problem is an artifact of cCR3, and would CR3 be better? I also noticed that the advantage of the small cCR3 file size evaporated when converting to DNG.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was different about the DNG files? Were you looking at them in Lightroom? How were you comparing them to the original CR3 files?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edited the cCR3 files in LR, then I exported them to the desktop as DNG files. Before sending them out to someone else, I reopened the DNG files in LR to see if everything was ok. To my surprise, it wasn't. Those DNG files on LR don't look the same as the original cCR3 files I did the edits on. I compared both file types side by side on LR and it was an obvious difference. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say you ”reopen them” you mean you import them back? Could you have applied a preset on import?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you create the DNG file?

Did you Conert to DNG via Library module menu item

Or did yoy Export to DNG

Just another Adobe customer; My Sys; APP: LRC 10.0, PS 22.0; CMP: WIN WS 16GB OS 10 v1909 (18363), mid 2015 MBPr 15” 16GB MACOS 10.15.7; 4K EXT DSPY; CAM: Canon 5D Mk III, Fuji X-T3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported the cCR3 files from the library module, and did the conversion during the export.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did you convert them to DNG? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In order to give the files to someone else who asked for that format

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run the same test but export a TIFF. Same results?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF and JPG look as they should, just like the edited cCR3. The problem is with DNG only. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So an edited CR3 exports to TIFF and JPEG but not DNG? All the same edits.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all the same edits. The DNG with the same edits as the cCR3 looks much darker, almost as though no edits were applied. In LR Devlop module, the DNG file definitely shows that it contains the edits.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application are you viewing the exported DNG in?

Regards, Denis: System iMac mid-2015, 5K 27” monitor, macOS 11.0: LrC 10, Lr 4, Ps 22.0.1,; Camera OM-D E-M1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom or Preview. Either way, the DNG files converted from edited cCR3 look bad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 27, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE. Ok, I discovered the problem. It isn't cCR3 vs. CR3, it was the use of Dual Pixel! It makes sense that DNG conversion might not work perfectly on images shot with it turned on. cCR3 looked as good as CR3 without it, at least on non challenging images shot in good light. I couldn't see a difference. However, the size of the cCR3 images swelled to the same size as CR3, so if you are going to use DNG for storage, there isn't a size advantage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 05, 2020 0